Blue curve tv player and av reciever compatibility

jmorme
Grasshopper

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

-- can you please add more details?  Which brand & model...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jmorme -- can you please add more details?  Which brand & model of A/V Receiver? Does it have "optical input"? HDMI input (carrying both audio & video streams) ?

Does your TV Player have HDMI-output? Optical output, for "surround sound"?

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, The AV Receiver is a Yamaha HYR-615...

jmorme
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply,

The AV Receiver is a Yamaha HYR-6150. It has HDMI Version 1.2a,  Digital Audio Coaxial and Optical input jacks.

The Shaw TV player, XG1V4-A, has HDMI and Coaxial output for surround sound that carry audio and video streams

The Samsung TV, QN65Q85A, also has Optical surround sound output and HDMI input

I have connected HDMI from the TV Player out to the AV receiver input and AV Receiver out to TV input.

This will work for a couple of minutes and then the TV starts pixelating and flashing black screen occurs and the audio also cuts out. When the HDMI is connected from the TV player direct to TV the picture is great but can only use the TV speakers for audio. I have also tried to run the TV optical output to the receiver optical with no joy. The Coaxial output from the TV Player looks like a regular Coaxial connector but the Coaxial input on the Yamaha looks like an RCA connector?

The settings in the AV receiver have output assignment which I have adjusted.

I am starting to think the HDMI switching in the Yamaha is not compatible with the Shaw TV Player?

This doesn’t answer why the Optical audio connection won’t work.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

0 Kudos

Try connecting the Shaw box to the TV HDMI In. Also any o...

rickatk
Master

@jmorme wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

The AV Receiver is a Yamaha HYR-6150. It has HDMI Version 1.2a,  Digital Audio Coaxial and Optical input jacks.

The Shaw TV player, XG1V4-A, has HDMI and Coaxial output for surround sound that carry audio and video streams

The Samsung TV, QN65Q85A, also has Optical surround sound output and HDMI input

I have connected HDMI from the TV Player out to the AV receiver input and AV Receiver out to TV input.

This will work for a couple of minutes and then the TV starts pixelating and flashing black screen occurs and the audio also cuts out. When the HDMI is connected from the TV player direct to TV the picture is great but can only use the TV speakers for audio. I have also tried to run the TV optical output to the receiver optical with no joy. The Coaxial output from the TV Player looks like a regular Coaxial connector but the Coaxial input on the Yamaha looks like an RCA connector?

The settings in the AV receiver have output assignment which I have adjusted.

I am starting to think the HDMI switching in the Yamaha is not compatible with the Shaw TV Player?

This doesn’t answer why the Optical audio connection won’t work.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

@jmorme Try connecting the Shaw box to the TV HDMI In. Also any other devices(game box Apple TV ) to HDMI in ports. Then connect the Receiver to the TV ARC port and Receiver HDMI (ARC) port. The receiver simply becomes the audio speakers system for your setup. This would apply to speaker bars as well.  Enable CEC. Now you can control everything through your TV.  Hopefully your TV will support the latest and greatest decoding features. 

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, This would work if the Yamaha HTR-6...

jmorme
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply,

This would work if the Yamaha HTR-6150 had a HDMI ARC  port. I think the receiver is to old for this. This is why I am trying to use alternatives for the audio connections. On which device would I enable CEC?

John

0 Kudos

I found the CEC and it is enabled. I also confirmed the A...

jmorme
Grasshopper

I found the CEC and it is enabled. I also confirmed the AV receiver sound output assignment settings.

0 Kudos

I did a factory reset of the Yamaha HTR-6150 and set up a...

jmorme
Grasshopper

I did a factory reset of the Yamaha HTR-6150 and set up all of my devices. So far all is working again.

I have 5.1 sound surround with the XG1V4-A.

The Shaw remote works well, does the volume and other functions for the Yamaha. The only command missing for the Shaw remote is powering up/shut down the Yamaha. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos

CEC should be enabled on all clients for everything to wo...

rickatk
Master

@jmorme CEC should be enabled on all clients for everything to work properly. 

0 Kudos

Try using the remote to scan the receiver and see if the...

rickatk
Master

@jmorme wrote:

I did a factory reset of the Yamaha HTR-6150 and set up all of my devices. So far all is working again.

I have 5.1 sound surround with the XG1V4-A.

The Shaw remote works well, does the volume and other functions for the Yamaha. The only command missing for the Shaw remote is powering up/shut down the Yamaha. Any thoughts?

Try using the remote to scan the receiver and see if the remote will find a code. alternatively, look up the codes in the remote user manual.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help