I am pretty satisfied with the Shaw Services. The technol...

rickatk
Master

@rwwish wrote:

Actually I'm waiting to see what happens with the Rogers take over as well as my contract to expire. Living in a smaller community in the interior we aren't eligible for the Shaw Mobile cell service so am waiting to see if the take over will make any difference for our cell service and if we can then get Shaw Mobile deal from Rogers as the new owners.

@rwwish wrote:

Actually I'm waiting to see what happens with the Rogers take over as well as my contract to expire. Living in a smaller community in the interior we aren't eligible for the Shaw Mobile cell service so am waiting to see if the take over will make any difference for our cell service and if we can then get Shaw Mobile deal from Rogers as the new owners.

I am pretty satisfied with the Shaw Services. The technology from Comcast is very good.Now with Chromecast I saved a lot of money in the summer months. I like that I can carry my Blue Curve account with me to the MoHo and summer place at no real extra cost.  Rogers will offer the same tech vis a vis the XB### and 5G platforms. The Mesh devices (Plume) work really well. I have examined Telus TV and internet before - not impressed. Especially the net expanders(china plates). The s Pure Fibre is  is compelling but in real life use is so so. I still prefer Telus mobility in my area but that might change as Rogers Mobility moves in. Assuming the merge is allowed…Interesting times! 

0 Kudos

I never had good luck with the Shaw provided DVR’s. Too m...

rickatk
Master

@rwwish wrote:

Considering the DVR is built into the box and it is sitting about 15 ft from the remote it seems like they are not very well designed. I could understand the delay if the recording is on a server miles away, like a netflix situation, but when it is on a recorder right in front of you I would think it should be way faster, almost immediate. If we ever get the wireless ones available in the southern interior (Castlegar area) maybe shaw will be generous enough to send me one of these to try but I don't see how it would be any faster.

I never had good luck with the Shaw provided DVR’s. Too many total failures. The Blue Curve Cloud DVR is much better. 

0 Kudos

Try getting a Fire Stick, the app works great and is much...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk 

Try getting a Fire Stick, the app works great and is much more stable than Chromecast.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. I already made my investment in a few...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rickatk 

Try getting a Fire Stick, the app works great and is much more stable than Chromecast.

@rstra Thanks for the tip. I already made my investment in a few Chromecast dongles last . This was before Amazon Fire was available. I don’t know much about Amazon platform other than I like the Amazon TV service and my Bose speakers has Amazon music baked in. Google not so much.

Fact is all these services, Apple TV, amazon and Google make it hard to use just one. My main choice would be Apple TV but they ‘ seem to be playing well with Comcast gear - yet any way.

0 Kudos

Hmmm wish I hadn’t seen this…the biggest difference appea...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rickatk 

Hmmm wish I hadn’t seen this…the biggest difference appears to be Shaw Blue Curve is actually and app on the Fire platform. No casting from an iPad. Is that right? 🤔 

Does Fire support Apple TV and iPad casting?

0 Kudos

The Shaw TV app is on the FireTV stick, so there is no ca...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk 

The Shaw TV app is on the FireTV stick, so there is no casting. I unplug the stick from the TV and take it with us when we go to our other home. We can access our recordings while we are away, if we could set recordings, it would be just like having a BlueCurve box with us.

Apple TV is on the Fire Stick, as well as Netflix, Crave, etc. I think there is a third party casting app, but I haven’t tried it yet. Hopefully Shaw makes the app available to the Apple TV and Roku players soon.

This is what cable TV will be like in the future, no cable boxes, just an app on a player or TV. 

0 Kudos

I see you can download BlueCurve TV app to the Google TV...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rickatk 

The Shaw TV app is on the FireTV stick, so there is no casting. I unplug the stick from the TV and take it with us when we go to our other home. We can access our recordings while we are away, if we could set recordings, it would be just like having a BlueCurve box with us.

Apple TV is on the Fire Stick, as well as Netflix, Crave, etc. I think there is a third party casting app, but I haven’t tried it yet. Hopefully Shaw makes the app available to the Apple TV and Roku players soon.

This is what cable TV will be like in the future, no cable boxes, just an app on a player or TV. 

I see you can download BlueCurve TV app to the Google TV platform now as well. @rstra  you are correct. The apps will be available for everything. The user will choose the hardware platform. This is happening pretty fast now.  I am curious why the Comcast X1 platform doesn’t carry more apps. I see the library is building slowwwwly.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help