Jump to solution

BlueCurve Home doesn't work for me on Android

GeoPro1
Grasshopper

I never used Freerange TV much, but when I checked the app on my Android 7 LG phone the other day to see if it still worked, it showed no content available. No update available - the app was gone from the Google Play Store. Apparently it was replaced by the BlueCurve Home app, so installed that instead and got this message:

"To access BlueCurve, you'll need to upgrade your service/equipment.

Learn about eligibility requirements / Upgrade Now / Sign Out"

Clicking "Learn about eligibility requirements" produces: "The message 'Upgrade for this experience' means you must have a BlueCurve Gateway setup in your home." I presume that's different from the old Gateway, which is what I have.

Clicking "How to Upgrade" takes me to the general Shaw page for ordering a new product or service.

My Shaw account under TV says: "Included features: Shaw BlueCurve TV App: Active"

I thought maybe Shaw's BlueCurve TV app requires this new BlueCurve Gateway, and the information in my account indicating that I have access to the BlueCurve TV app is a mistake. 

and yet...

If I click the old link to Freerange TV on my Windows desktop, it takes me instead to For You - BlueCurve TV , which works fine, and apparently does not require any new BlueCurve Gateway.

So this has left me confused. Why doesn't the Android BlueCurve app work? What does it want?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Are you sure you downloaded the BlueCurve TV app and not...

rstra
Grand Master

@GeoPro1 Are you sure you downloaded the BlueCurve TV app and not the BlueCurve Home app? The BlueCurve Home app will give you that error if you don’t have a BC gateway modem installed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jump to solution

Are you sure you downloaded the BlueCurve TV app and not...

rstra
Grand Master

@GeoPro1 Are you sure you downloaded the BlueCurve TV app and not the BlueCurve Home app? The BlueCurve Home app will give you that error if you don’t have a BC gateway modem installed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That's what was wrong all right! The BlueCurve TV app is...

GeoPro1
Grasshopper

That's what was wrong all right!

The BlueCurve TV app is not indexed correctly in the Google Play Store. If you search for BlueCurve TV app, the Play Store offers only the BlueCurve Home app. You have to go through the Shaw web site to get the right app.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The correct download link is: https://play.google.com/sto...

GeoPro1
Grasshopper

The correct download link is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.shaw.freerangetv

Note that the internal app name in the Google Play Store is still freerangetv, and when you go to this link the Play store says it is updating the Shaw TV app (meaning Freerange TV), even though "Freerange" is no longer found in a search of the app store, so you can't ask to update it directly.

Jump to solution

Good catch. Does it still say it is in beta?

rstra
Grand Master

Good catch. Does it still say it is in beta?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help