I cant take much credit for some of the comments you are...

rickatk
Master

@MikeA1 I cant take much credit for some of the comments you are referring to as I didn't make them.

However:

I remain very happy with my XI6 wireless TV setup. I have upgraded to the Fibre Gig Plus service and all my gadgets are running smoother than ever. 

I don't recall having concerns about the cloud PVR and FF. That feature seems to work fine for me.

I remember some posts being made to be critical about the picture quality. I found the picture quality to be pretty good and slightly better where screen moire is concerned compared to Apple TV.

I am unsure how much cloud PVR space 4 wireless TV players gets me.

Your 300mb service may be a little skinny if you are planning on running wireless tv boxes. If wired no problem. But give it a try first.

0 Kudos

Just a couple of comments. The picture quality for my new...

rstra
Grand Master

@MikeA1 Just a couple of comments. The picture quality for my new 75 inch Sony Bravia, is very good, I wouldn’t be too concerned. I haven’t had any issues with fast forward, but I am using the wired Xid boxes, so there may be a difference compared to the wireless boxes. 

Shaw doesn’t really talk about storage capacity in bytes, they now just say you get 60 hours of HD storage. The wired XG1v3 and v4 include 500GB hard drives which can be increased to 1.5TB by renting 3 of those boxes, not really sure if that is even an option anymore as they seem to just offer Xi6 and cloud storage.

0 Kudos

Have enjoyed reading your initial review of the Xi6 wirel...

MikeA1
Grasshopper

Have enjoyed reading your initial review of the Xi6 wireless player system and subsequent comments. Am wondering how you are feeling about the system a year plus later.
Yesterday I ordered 3 Xi6 units plus a Bluetooth Gateway to replace 3 old Arris boxes.  Scheduled for delivery next week, but after some further research I am having second thoughts about my order.  

One concern is your comment about picture quality for high end TV’s. I recently purchased a 65” Sony OLED and would be unhappy to see picture quality decline.  Do you still feel the same way?

Another concern is your comment about poor fast forward capability.  I use that all the time to speed through sports programming, would hate to lose that capability. Is it still an issue for you?

Also concerned about cloud recording storage limit.  I was told by a Shaw rep that with 3 units I would have equivalent of 1.5T storage.  I suspect that may be incorrect as you mentioned 200 hour limit regardless of number of units.  I doubt that is close to the 3 x 500G storage I have with current old boxes.  Also 

I currently have 300 mb internet  Do you think that is sufficient for the 3 units plus 3 iPads and 5 or 6 other home connections (light switches, door bell camera and chimes)?

Much appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

-- Your 300mb service may be a little skinny if you are p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- Your 300mb service may be a little skinny if you are planning on running wireless tv boxes. If wired no problem.

Huh? It's my impression that the TV and the Internet running into the gateway are on separate channels.

Your personal wireless device (e.g., notebook, iPad, Android phone) cannot connect to those "hidden" WiFi SSIDs that the gateway is using to connect to the Wireless TV players.

I see that anybody paying for "Fibre+ 25" (yes, just this slow) will receive two wireless TV players. From:  https://www.shaw.ca/bundles/plans

7 Value-Plans [are] available

FIBRE+ 25 & TOTAL TV -- $155/mo (for 24 months, then $165/mo)

Download speed: Up to 25Mbps
Channels: Up to 114

Fibre+ modem & 2 TV players

Presumably, the picture-quality from those TV players is not dependent on your Internet speed.

0 Kudos

@MDK that may be true for wired tv player but I think the...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@rickatk -- Your 300mb service may be a little skinny if you are planning on running wireless tv boxes. If wired no problem.

Huh? It's my impression that the TV and the Internet running into the gateway are on separate channels.

Your personal wireless device (e.g., notebook, iPad, Android phone) cannot connect to those "hidden" WiFi SSIDs that the gateway is using to connect to the Wireless TV players.

I see that anybody paying for "Fibre+ 25" (yes, just this slow) will receive two wireless TV players. From:  https://www.shaw.ca/bundles/plans

7 Value-Plans [are] available

FIBRE+ 25 & TOTAL TV -- $155/mo (for 24 months, then $165/mo)

Download speed: Up to 25Mbps
Channels: Up to 114

Fibre+ modem & 2 TV players

Presumably, the picture-quality from those TV players is not dependent on your Internet speed.

@mdk that may be true for wired tv player but I think the Wireless TV players manage the IPTV signal along with the regluar IP signal. 300Mbps is a good start. 

0 Kudos

-- from a Shaw web-site: Wireless Connectivity FAQs How d...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- from a Shaw web-site:

Wireless Connectivity FAQs

How does the 4K wireless box connect and receive a TV signal?

The 4K wireless box connects over WiFi to your BlueCurve Gateway modem. TV signal is delivered via IP (Internet Protocol) to the Gateway, and over WiFi to the 4K wireless box.

Since the 4K wireless box connects through my Internet modem, does it impact my Internet speed or bandwidth?

No. The BlueCurve Gateway modem uses a portion of the 5GHz WiFi band, but should not have any effect on the performance of your Internet service.

So, there seems to be NO need to have 300 Mbps Internet to have a good TV-watching experience. Agreed?

0 Kudos

I think the best way to confirm the requirements is with...

rickatk
Master

@mdk @MikeA1 I think the best way to confirm the requirements is with use. While I accept the stated standards, as eloquently presented by @mdk there is nothing better than real life experiences to figure what is required. In my experience,  I went from a 600mbps service to one gigabit. I found my wireless boxes and internet work more  smoothly and without freezing.

I have 4 wireless TV players, 5 Apple devices a number of light switches, Christmas lights, irrigation and 5 Bose wireless speakers. My Blue Curve app manages approx 25 devices.

-- I currently have 300 mb internet  Do you think that is...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MikeA1 -- I currently have 300 mb internet  Do you think that is sufficient for the 3 units plus 3 iPads and 5 or 6 other home connections (light switches, door bell camera and chimes)?

Yes, even when you are simultaneously "streaming" on all 3 iPads, because services like YouTube & Skype & Zoom each seem to consume less than 10 MBit/second, leaving you with over 200 Mbps for any other WiFi devices. The wireless TV boxes do not consume any of your 300 Mbps. The TV boxes may use some of your 5G bandwidth, if some of your devices also connect over 5G.

The "traffic" for the light-switches & camera & chimes may possibly use a few bits (pun intended) of your Internet connection, but only when you try to communicate with them when NOT connected to your home network. A streaming "security-camera" uses your Internet connection, if you try to access it when NOT at home.

>I currently have 300 mb internet  Do you think that is s...

rickatk
Master

>I currently have 300 mb internet  Do you think that is sufficient for the 3 units plus 3 iPads and 5 or 6 other home connections (light switches, door bell camera and chimes)?

@MikeA1 I suggest giving the 300Mbps a try. As far as your other concerns, fear not...picture quality is good, you should have plenty of storage for cloud PVR and fastest forward works.

TALK TO US
We're here to help