Jump to solution

Cable Setup with Splitters

WhiteNorth
Grasshopper

I recently moved into a new house and was left with a nest of cables from the previous owner as well as some hardware. I was able to easily plug in my Shaw gear from my previous place and everything seems to work, however I am unsure if it is as efficient as it should be due to just connecting to the existing setup without really knowing what their goal was. There are about 12 RG6 cables running from my utility room to various rooms throughout the house. Some are connected to splitters in the utility room while others are just raw cable.

As there are a mess of cables, it is difficult to get a picture of exactly what is going on so I sketched it as best I can for reference.

My question is, is there a more efficient configuration I should be using or does anyone see anything blatantly wrong with the current configuration?

Thanks in advance?

6F102089-3F60-4EAC-B00B-FE4224C51DE3.jpeg

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I would do the following: Line in to the house to a 4way...

rstra
Grand Master

I would do the following:

Line in to the house to a 4way splitter with a moca filter on the input of the 4 way splitter, from there just connect all the rooms that you want the cable boxes and modem. This setup would also bypass the amp, I don’t think you would need it. 

If you don’t have a 4 way splitter, you could see if you could pickup one from the Shaw store or get one mailed out to you. In the meantime, you could use two of your 3way splitters:

Line in to the house to a 3 way splitter with the moca filter on the input, then connect a jumper from the 3.5 leg to the the input of the second 3 way splitter. Connect your modem on the first splitter and leave one output open. Connect your XG1 to the 3.5 leg and the XID’s to the other two legs of the second splitter.

If you still can’t connect the third player, it could have a faulty connector or may be internally split. If you can’t get it to work, you may need a service tech to come out.

Hopefully this is easy to follow, if not I could draw a diagram.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Jump to solution

If you are planning on just having internet, you can bypa...

rstra
Grand Master

If you are planning on just having internet, you can bypass all the other stuff and connect your modem directly to the line coming in to the house. If the utility room is not the ideal location for you modem, you can get an F81 connector and connect the drop to the line that goes to the room where you would like the modem. 

If you have TV as well, let me know what type of cable boxes you have and how many. Also, what is the length on the line coming in to the house.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response.  We have the following devic...

WhiteNorth
Grasshopper

Thank you for the response. 

We have the following devices for internet and TV.

• XG1v3 (x1)
  • XiD (x2)
  • Gateway XB6 modem

All rooms are have 2 Cat 5e cables running to them as well. My intention is to bridge the modem and hardwire a third party router in a more central place in the house. Then connect back to a switch in the utility room to hardwire Internet to whatever areas need it. 

As for TV, currently two of the three players are connected and working ( the XG1v3 and 1 XiD). I attempted to setup the third player in another room but was unable to get signal. I have some work to figure out if that room is not connected in the utility room, or if it is, what is happening to the signal. 

Also, it looks like there is a filter on the input of the second 3 way splitter before the modem and after the amp. Is that the correct location, or should it be moved with a new configuration?

Again, I appreciate the help. This is new to me so I’m not entirely sure what the functions are for each piece. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I would do the following: Line in to the house to a 4way...

rstra
Grand Master

I would do the following:

Line in to the house to a 4way splitter with a moca filter on the input of the 4 way splitter, from there just connect all the rooms that you want the cable boxes and modem. This setup would also bypass the amp, I don’t think you would need it. 

If you don’t have a 4 way splitter, you could see if you could pickup one from the Shaw store or get one mailed out to you. In the meantime, you could use two of your 3way splitters:

Line in to the house to a 3 way splitter with the moca filter on the input, then connect a jumper from the 3.5 leg to the the input of the second 3 way splitter. Connect your modem on the first splitter and leave one output open. Connect your XG1 to the 3.5 leg and the XID’s to the other two legs of the second splitter.

If you still can’t connect the third player, it could have a faulty connector or may be internally split. If you can’t get it to work, you may need a service tech to come out.

Hopefully this is easy to follow, if not I could draw a diagram.

Jump to solution

Hey there, I am looking to split the output feed on a blu...

Cgrootendorst
Grasshopper

Hey there, I am looking to split the output feed on a blue curve box. I have tried several splitters but none seem work. Do you have a recommendation?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

You can’t split the coax output on the BlueCurve.

rstra
Grand Master

@Cgrootendorst You can’t split the coax output on the BlueCurve. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I am looking to split the output feed on a BlueCurve b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Cgrootendorst -- I am looking to split the output feed on a BlueCurve box

Use a coaxial-cable to connect from the wall-socket to the "input" port on any 1-to-2 splitter. Be sure to use a "two-way" splitter, so that your Shaw On Demand & Shaw PPV services will work.

Use another coaxial-cable to connect from one of the "output" ports on the splitter to the BlueCurve.

Use a third coaxial-cable to connect from the other "output" port on the splitter to whatever device that you want to use.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help