Can I set my Blue Curve TV box to use 2.4 Ghz instead of 5 Ghz?

hopetosolve
Grasshopper

My Blue Curve TV box always chooses to use the 5 Ghz channel even though the signal strength is very weak (-87) and the connection stops all of the time and the picture is terrible.  I cannot change the location of my TV or my Gateway modem. At the exact same location of the TV box, my Samsung mobile phone can receive a strong 2.4 Ghz Wifi connection but does not see the 5 Ghz connection.  I am hoping that the Blue Curve TV box can be set to use the 2.4 Ghz connection since the 2.4 Ghz looks to be pretty strong at that location. 

Thank you for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

I suggest you set your router to broadcast a blended (dua...

rickatk
Master

@hopetosolve wrote:

My Blue Curve TV box always chooses to use the 5 Ghz channel even though the signal strength is very weak (-87) and the connection stops all of the time and the picture is terrible.  I cannot change the location of my TV or my Gateway modem. At the exact same location of the TV box, my Samsung mobile phone can receive a strong 2.4 Ghz Wifi connection but does not see the 5 Ghz connection.  I am hoping that the Blue Curve TV box can be set to use the 2.4 Ghz connection since the 2.4 Ghz looks to be pretty strong at that location. 

Thank you for your help.

I suggest you set your router to broadcast a blended (dual band single SSID) network. Let your tv box and router figure out the rest.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply rickactk.  I set the modem to dual b...

hopetosolve
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply rickactk.  I set the modem to dual band single SSID and the TV box still chooses the 5Ghz connection.  See attached pic.  

Why does the TV box choose 5 Ghz when it doesn't work???  Cuts out all of the time and poor resolution often. 

It's getting really frustrating now since we can't watch Shaw cable TV in our main living room so the Shaw TV programming has almost never been watched in the last 6 months.  What's the point in paying approx. $100/month for the programming  if we can't use it?

Problems with Shaw 5 Ghz.jpg

0 Kudos

-- Why does the TV box choose 5 Ghz when it doesn't work?...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@hopetosolve -- Why does the TV box choose 5 Ghz when it doesn't work??? 

It does, because that wireless band is visible to the TV, and because "band-steering" is enabled on the BlueCurve.

Can you add a WiFi repeater, such as the ones rented from Shaw, physically "half-way" between your BlueCurve and the box connected to the TV, to increase the signal-strength into the room where the TV is located?  Pay $10, and try it for one month, to see if adding a repeater works for you. Then, you can return the Shaw repeater, and purchase your own, and amortize its cost over 1 or 2 years, making it cheaper than month-after-month of $10 for the Shaw repeater.

0 Kudos

wrote: Then, you can return the Shaw repeater, and purcha...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

Then, you can return the Shaw repeater, and purchase your own, and amortize its cost over 1 or 2 years, making it cheaper than month-after-month of $10 for the Shaw repeater...

I would be looking at a three to five year break even point if I went with Netgear Orbi. A little less with some of the other premium products.With renting I have a unified Shaw network, unlimited warranty and future proofing.

I remember  a few years back researching Mesh network gear.  I choked on the high price. This stuff is still expensive no matter what route is utilized.

0 Kudos

I installed a Netgear mesh extender as I only needed one...

rstra
Grand Master

I installed a Netgear mesh extender as I only needed one device to cover a dead spot in the house, it was $125 so it made sense to return the pods. More elaborate mesh systems are quite expensive and I would also continue to rent from Shaw. 

As far as the wireless BlueCurve are concerned, I read somewhere (can’t find the link now) that these boxes do 5 GHz only. I am tempted to switch over to the wireless BlueCurve to see how they perform and to see if they would work with my range extender.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help