Jump to solution

I ordered up some Chrome cast dongles and low and behold...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

Good news. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/how-to-use-chromecast-with-the-bluecurve-tv-app/ta-p/21830?ai...

I ordered up some Chrome cast dongles and low and behold the Blue Curve TV streams nicely from my iPad to MoHo TV while parked next o the house and connected to the wifi. I then tried pulling off my phone as a hotspot. This was a little more tricky as it takes two devices to get things going. One phone to point the Chromecast to another phone running the hotspot. After getting everything running I was pleased with the casting performance.

The Chromecast is pretty paired down on features but does have a few apps like Netflix, YouTube, Prime and Disney +. I have since discovered the Chromecast with Google TV. This is a more robust device, with a remote and Apple TV. There is less reliance on i-devices for casting as much more apps are built in, but it doesn’t appear the BlueCurve TV is built  in there and has to be stream cast. 

Overall for $20.00 more, I think the latter solution will be less complicated to operated and more familiar to use - think Apple TV.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I ordered up some entry level Grey Chromcasters , they wo...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

Good news. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/how-to-use-chromecast-with-the-bluecurve-tv-app/ta-p/21830?ai...

I ordered up some entry level Grey Chromcasters , they work fine. Then I discovered the next Level White Chromecasters with Google TV. This is a pretty robust little device. Works very much like Apple TV with all the apps including well... AppleTV app. The casting feature works well too, which is a good thing because the Shaw TV app is not downloadable to the Chromecast device.  As far as I can tell.

editorial: Because there are some deficiencies in the Shaw TV app I had to buy yet another device, on another platform (Google) in order to access my BlueCurve TV channels. 

Too bad Shaw can't:

1. Enable Airplay on the Shaw TV app so customers don't have to invest in more gear 

2. Put the Shaw TV app in the Google store so it can be downloaded directly onto the Google TV.

Upside: I can now access my Shaw TV lineup without getting a summer account for my MoHo and place in Yellow Point. This Chromecast thingy is going to save a few $$ for sure.

As an aside...the Chromecast platform is pretty cool. Very Apple like right down to the packaging. Apple should pay attention and come up with a dongle, call it Apple TV Mini. 

Jump to solution

The only minor issues are fast forwarding through recordi...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk The only minor issues are fast forwarding through recordings can be a little clumsy and, of course, the app doesn’t have all your subscribed channels available. But, if you have all your recordings set before leaving home, it is all good.

Jump to solution

I found my wife’s older iPad doesn’t advance the recorded...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rickatk The only minor issues are fast forwarding through recordings can be a little clumsy and, of course, the app doesn’t have all your subscribed channels available. But, if you have all your recordings set before leaving home, it is all good.

I found my wife’s older iPad doesn’t advance the recorded shows to skip commercials. My new iPad Pro does quite nicely. 

I finally got the the Home app connected and working. I don't really see a need for it. The Chromecast with Google TV seemed to connect to a hot spot or wifi right from the Google TV app. After using the Google TV with all its built in apps(except Shaw TV), casting Shaw TV works quite well, but for the extra steps.

Shaw: Please develop a TV app that can be downloaded to Google TV and Apple TV. That would make all this much easier! The casting option works but is still cumbersome.

It sure is nice being able to use my Blue Curve account in remote locations without having to take on additional summer accounts.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I hooked up another TV using Chromecast  this afternoon....

rickatk
Master

I hooked up another TV using Chromecast  this afternoon. I reactivated my summer time account this morning then this afternoon another Chromecast. Everything going well. I purchased the Chromecast with Google TV which included a lot more apps including Apple TV. End result, a full suite of streaming apps and the ability to cast Blue Curve TV. The picture is really good with all configurations. I am very impressed with the Chromecast hardware.

I took down my Shaw TV box and Apple TV v2. The money saved not having to buy additional cable programming pays for the Chromecast hardware. 

Apple and Shaw take note: my dollars have moved to Google in this instance because Airplay is not allowed to stream Blue Curve TV..

Jump to solution

Yes, I am frustrated that AirPlay and the Lightning to HD...

CHCN
Grasshopper

Yes, I am frustrated that AirPlay and the Lightning to HDMI adapter are still not allowed. 

Jump to solution

Hello, so as of now it’s just chromecast that allows you...

sbradstock
Grasshopper

Hello, so as of now it’s just chromecast that allows you to watch bluecurve on your tv when not at home?

Jump to solution

That is correct, Chrome casting right now. Seems to be wo...

rickatk
Master

@sbradstock  That is correct, Chrome casting right now. Seems to be working fine. I have already saved on summer accounts and my wife is happy she can access her cloud PVR.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am happy to report that I have been using the Chromecas...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

Good news. 

I am happy to report that I have been using the Chromecast solution to access my BlueCurve account including PVR over the summer. This is much better than having three different accounts for my MOHO and summer place. The savings alone pays off my Chrome dongle hardware this year. This has been a great solution for our Glamping TV setups.

Jump to solution

we still have a blue curve casting problem...  again! Thi...

Muller1
Grasshopper

we still have a blue curve casting problem...  again! This previously occurred, after struggling to find a way to contact Shaw through this "support" corn maze, eventually made contact and a Shaw tech said he'd found an issue at the Shaw "servers" and it worked again for the last few months, now kaput again! We cast from iPhone to ChromeCast, and although all other apps cast successfully (& blue curve app has previously) it now does not work!!! The message seems to be "no media selected" even though the casting target and channel to watch are selected, in all different combinations of selection order! We had this issue a few months back , now again... we need to stream because the Shaw cable feed us so crappy! Please fix

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help