Jump to solution

Casting now available on the BlueCurve TV app

rstra
Grand Master
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Hey  I got it working, I had the Chromecast on separate w...

rstra
Grand Master

Hey @rickatk I got it working, I had the Chromecast on separate wifi network. It works great, especially if you have BC TV, you can play your recordings. 

View solution in original post

23 Replies
Jump to solution

Just tried this and the casting option isn’t available in...

rstra
Grand Master

Just tried this and the casting option isn’t available in the app. I might not have it set up correctly.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes good news. I look forward to using this feature at my...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

Just tried this and the casting option isn’t available in the app. I might not have it set up correctly.

Yes good news. I look forward to using this feature at my summer place and in my Motorhome. This will provide some real value to the Blue Curve TV package. I am waiting for the feature to show up using Airplay and Apple TV.

Jump to solution

Hey  I got it working, I had the Chromecast on separate w...

rstra
Grand Master

Hey @rickatk I got it working, I had the Chromecast on separate wifi network. It works great, especially if you have BC TV, you can play your recordings. 

Jump to solution

Good to hear. I think this is a great step forward for Sh...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rstra Good to hear. I think this is a great step forward for Shaw. Having the ability to stream my Blue Curve lineup was great but being able to cast it means we can have a full TV lineup at other locations on a TV, rather than just an tablet or laptop. That is what we did with some TV apps in Hawaii at our rented condo. Setting up the TV for receiving Airplay was easy. Streaming from my iPad over wifi, a piece of cache.  Likewise an HDMI cable at a RV resort (usually internet sucks at RV resorts) will be very handy.  

I don't mind paying for internet at separate locations but not being able to view my BlueSky TV package, on a TV or in my motorhome or a summer place is disappointing .  I am confident Shaw will bring along Airplay once the licensing issues get worked out. 

Jump to solution

I find it quite surprising this app is still limited in f...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

Good news. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/how-to-use-chromecast-with-the-bluecurve-tv-app/ta-p/21830?ai...

I find it quite surprising this app is still limited in functionality as far as casting goes. I have been trying to find a mirroring/casting solution for some time time. This app works well on my iPhone, iPad and Mac but no joy on Apple TV or via casting. I see the same for Android solutions...no casting to a TV. I have a motor home and summer RV place and would love not to have to set up separate Shaw or Shaw Direct TV accounts at those locations. I pay enough for Blue Curve TV at one location.

I certainly have all the hardware, Shaw terminals and dish, but wouldn’t it be nice if I could get Blue Curve TV on a resident app on Apple TV or casting from an iPad.

I am curious about using Chrome Cast as an inexpensive mirroring option.

Jump to solution

We use the Chromecast and can cast all of our recordings...

rstra
Grand Master

@rickatk We use the Chromecast and can cast all of our recordings to the TV at our summer place, it works great. Ultimately, I wish there was an Apple TV or FireTV app, but Chromecast is an inexpensive option.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Good to hear. I just ordered a 1080p model. This may be a...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

@rickatk We use the Chromecast and can cast all of our recordings to the TV at our summer place, it works great. Ultimately, I wish there was an Apple TV or FireTV app, but Chromecast is an inexpensive option.

Good to hear. I just ordered a 1080p model. This may be a surprising solution. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The more I think about this, I do have some older ATVs wh...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

The more I think about this, I do have some older ATVs which support Airplay. They of course wouldn’t support Blue Curve TV app. So those would be a good Airplay option. Certainly buying new ATV’s just to access Airplay casting would be expensive and rich. Hopefully the Chrome casting dongles might do the job nicely and in an affordable fashion.

I certainly have been calling for this ability for a while. Shaw announced  Chrome casting last fall I didn't give it much consideration, thinking ATV. I would much rather use Airplay but what ever. sometimes Apply plays hard to get, to their detriment I would say.

Jump to solution

I was looking at having to replace my 3rd gen Apple TV be...

rstra
Grand Master

I was looking at having to replace my 3rd gen Apple TV because it didn’t support Disney +, I didn’t want to spend big bucks, so I got a 4K FireTV stick and a Chromecast for casting, both for less than half the price of ATV.

TALK TO US
We're here to help