change router from 5 g to 2.4 ghz

xerxies
Grasshopper

any one know how to change settings on modem to 2.4 ghz from 5 g

Labels (1)
9 Replies

-- your modem is broadcasting WiFi signals on both the 2....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@xerxies -- your modem is broadcasting WiFi signals on both the 2.4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz frequency-bands.

It probably has the same SSID (network-name) for both bands, but you may logon to the router to change the SSID for one of the two.

Then, your devices will see two SSIDs, and you can choose to which network that you want to connect.

0 Kudos

When looking at your modem either through the Blue Curve...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@xerxies -- your modem is broadcasting WiFi signals on both the 2.4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz frequency-bands.

It probably has the same SSID (network-name) for both bands, but you may logon to the router to change the SSID for one of the two.

Then, your devices will see two SSIDs, and you can choose to which network that you want to connect.

When looking at your modem either through the Blue Curve app or a web page 10.0.0.1 you are given the option to select a 5Ghz address. Usually it is the same SSID as your 2.4Ghz name with a 5Ghz extension. Once you identify the 5Ghz SSID, be sure to use a different password for that band.

As an aside, the recommended settings these days is dual band and letting the modem and devices figure out best band to use. So no need to identify 5Ghz band specifically. 

0 Kudos

--  Usually it is the same SSID as your 2.4Ghz name with...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk --  Usually it is the same SSID as your 2.4Ghz name with a 5Ghz extension

Late night thoughts:

* If the two SSIDs are different, will "band steering" (letting the BlueCurve decide which band to use) still work?

* If the two SSIDs are different, would @xerxies be asking how to connect to one, instead of the other?

4th overtime? Postponement of @bostonbob 's  "B.B.B." first game? Is the world going crazy? Must be, if the 45th President is claiming that World War II ended in 1917 !  🙂

0 Kudos

If the two SSIDS are different then the client needs to b...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@rickatk --  Usually it is the same SSID as your 2.4Ghz name with a 5Ghz extension

Late night thoughts:

* If the two SSIDs are different, will "band steering" (letting the BlueCurve decide which band to use) still work?

* If the two SSIDs are different, would @xerxies be asking how to connect to one, instead of the other?

4th overtime? Postponement of @bostonbob 's  "B.B.B." first game? Is the world going crazy? Must be, if the 45th President is claiming that World War II ended in 1917 !  🙂

@mdk @xerxies If the two SSIDS are different then the client needs to be manually pointed to a specific SSID be it 2.4Ghz or 5.Ghz. When setting up the clients, @xerxies will see both networks and will have to pick one. 2.4Ghz is slower but has better range and penetration. 5Ghz is faster but less range and penetration. At this point I believe band steering is disabled.🏒🥅🇨🇦

I like to have a answer how to change from 5khz to 2.4 ghz

henkkroonsr
Grasshopper

I like to have a answer how to change from 5khz to 2.4 ghz

0 Kudos

It sounds like your modem currently has both network name...

shaw-petty

@henkkroonsr It sounds like your modem currently has both network names combined into one SSID. You can have a dedicated 2.4 GHz and 5GHz network. You'd just need to change the name of either to no longer match. The simplest method would be through the BlueCurve Home app. Instructions can be found here. Hope it helps!

0 Kudos

Yah

Sarahschwartz19
Grasshopper

Yah

0 Kudos

Ok how do I log into the router ?? Nothing is easy now la...

saunderz
Grasshopper

Ok how do I log into the router ?? Nothing is easy now last router had 2 speeds different but now man I hate these new crappy systems inprovement not a chance

0 Kudos

-- assuming that you have the newer BlueCurve cable-modem...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@saunderz -- assuming that you have the newer BlueCurve cable-modem, open your web-browser, and enter:  http://10.0.0.1  to access the "logon" screen for the BlueCurve. Once logged-in, you can change the SSID, and/or configure two SSIDs -- one for your devices that require 2.4 Ghz, and one for your devices that support 5 Ghz.

The ID/password for the modem are printed on the label on the modem.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help