Agreed. Now every recording for me is junk. The silence f...

BA2-0
Grasshopper

Agreed. Now every recording for me is junk. The silence from Shaw is deafening. I am curious how wide-spread this issue is? Six months ago I seriously considered cutting the cable. There is literally nothing that I watch that I can't stream in some way. Probably time to re-visit that analysis to see if it is financially beneficial. This is especially true if I can't trust Shaw to be able to PVR shows. The ability to PVR is the only difference over streaming. Anybody know of a way to do a local PVR for streaming services? Including Disney+, Netflix, Prime, CBS and more?

Thanks

0 Kudos

I'm seeing these posts are from a month ago, but curious...

Pulse
Grasshopper

I'm seeing these posts are from a month ago, but curious if this has been resolved for anyone? We recorded a show tonight and started to play it back only to find it unwatchable due to skipping. Would live to know if Shaw has resolved this for anyone else?

0 Kudos

On Monday we had the same issue watching recorded shows a...

Fxlarryw65
Grasshopper

On Monday we had the same issue watching recorded shows and also had freezes and skipping on live tv as well. It is better today and thought issue was resolved since it did seem better a few weeks ago.  Apparently they haven’t fully resolved it. I haven’t contacted support yet since often I get the same canned suggestions to unplug coaxial and power to modem and that rarely solves any of my issues. 

0 Kudos

--  Anybody know of a way to do a local PVR for streaming...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@BA2-0 --  Anybody know of a way to do a local PVR for streaming services? Including Disney+, Netflix, Prime, CBS and more?

Many years ago, when TV signals were "analog", not "digital", people had computers with "TV-cards" with coaxial-input.

That adapter card had an analog coaxial-input, and, with software, you could tune to any channel, and record to your computer's disk-drive.

Now that Shaw delivers the channels via "digital", you would need to have a Shaw TV box to convert the incoming signal from digital to analog, and then to use the coaxial-output from the Shaw box to the "analog-in" connector on the TV-card on your computer. You would probably select "channel 3" on the TV-card, because the non-HD output from the Shaw box would be sent on "Channel 3". Of course, you would have to tune the Shaw box to the streaming-channel, and start the recording on your computer at the same time that you start the program on the streaming-channel.

Probably, this recording of the streaming content is a violation of copyright.

Remember when Shaw first went "digital" ? Everybody needed one of those wedge-shaped DCT700 boxes to convert from digital to analog, and it fed non-HD analog output on Channel 3 via coaxial-cable to your analog-only non-HD TV.

0 Kudos

Things magically improved but with no insight from Shaw....

BA2-0
Grasshopper

Things magically improved but with no insight from Shaw. They never did post anything to help us understand or ask us to be patient while they addressed the problem. You are right, I am now starting to experience skips again. Also recorded FBI. All looked good, 60 minutes of recording. Started watching, 5-10 minutes in the "Delete Recording" message popped up. WTF? I had to delete the recording. I couldn't find it on demand, so I found it on my phone and did a chromecast to the TV. pathetic. Hopefully they fix this issue quicker this time.

0 Kudos

Your post reminded me of a DVR solution from years ago, y...

BA2-0
Grasshopper

Your post reminded me of a DVR solution from years ago, yes I'm old 🙂 That DVR was called TiVo. I looked it up. It still exists. You can use it for OTA signals as well as Cable. Perhaps with a little more research I could switch to a bare bones cable subscription and buy a TiVo Edge to record not only cable but Netflix, Prime, Hulu........ Might be worth checking out.

0 Kudos

It looks like you can only record cable and not streamed...

BA2-0
Grasshopper

It looks like you can only record cable and not streamed content. 😞

0 Kudos

There are apps and a Chrome extension to record Netflix,...

rstra
Grand Master

@BA2-0 There are apps and a Chrome extension to record Netflix, not sure about the other services. Do you want to do this so you can watch offline?

0 Kudos

I'd like to do this and stop paying for cable. There is a...

BA2-0
Grasshopper

I'd like to do this and stop paying for cable. There is a service called Playon that offers recording for netflix etc. It can schedule recordings, do a series recording. You can just pay for recordings that stay online for 7 days, you can buy storage for a fee to keep the recordings longer, and you can record using your home PC hard drive. Very interesting. I'll have to check out that Chrome extension you mentioned.

0 Kudos

PVR is skipping and audio drops again. Come on Shaw, get...

Fxlarryw65
Grasshopper

PVR is skipping and audio drops again. Come on Shaw, get your act together and fix this ongoing issue. Many of my recordings I miss the last 10+ minutes. It just ends. I tried playing a recording from the iPhone Blue Curve app and the recording ended short on that also. Only way to see full episodes is from On Demand. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help