Just a note I would like to add to my previous post about...

brooks8075
Grasshopper

Just a note I would like to add to my previous post about this issue still ongoing. I mentioned my neighbor has had the same exact problem started around same time and is also still unresolved - She told me she has a friend works for Telus telling her...that since our building has been fitted with access throughout the building for free, Shaw would now consider this building a "Telus building, and this is why they dont care to send a truck around or a tech. to check the cable box inside the building for any problems - I was laughing at first but the more I think about how I have been requesting to escalate issue and do just that -It would explain a lot + who knows what kind of damage (unintended of course) to the Shaw connection cables to the suites in the cable room.  But there is still some of us left and maybe we just continue to pay full price - Is that even possible I wonder?

0 Kudos

The Telus friend is wrong, if it were an exclusive Telus...

rstra
Grand Master

The Telus friend is wrong, if it were an exclusive Telus building, that would be the case, but Shaw has services in the building so they will maintain that equipment.

You just need to get a technician that can identify the problem and submit a referral to the plant ops technicians.

-- most times we get transferred to someplace back east Y...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@brooks8075 -- most times we get transferred to someplace back east

Yes, that is my "trick" to talk (after 11 PM Pacific) to a Shaw Agent in the Maritimes (4 time-zones away, in the middle of their night), if/when talking to the local staff during "business-hours" is not possible.

(Definitely no 24/7 in Vancouver)

I disagree, although I have never telephoned Shaw between 11:59 PM and 6:59 AM Pacific Time to verify their 24/7 service.

0 Kudos

Have you found any solutions to the severe pixilation and...

DavidDonald
Grasshopper

Have you found any solutions to the severe pixilation and audio problems?  I am experiencing frequent poor reception in Vancouver West End.  The service is becoming unwatchable.

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DavidDonald -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

I recommend that you contact Shaw Support ( www.shaw.ca/chat ) or 1-888-472-2222 and ask the Shaw Agent to remotely logon to your Shaw TV box, to view the "signal-strength" (and other values) reaching your device. Anything "out-of-specifications" can cause the symptoms that you are reporting.

Experiment: if you have a coaxial-splitter between the wall-outlet and your Shaw TV box, bypass it, to connect the box directly to the wall-outlet. Sometimes, just unscrewing the ends of the coaxial-cable(s), and reconnecting them, is enough to fix the problem.

0 Kudos

Still no resolution with TV unwatchable pixilation and so...

brooks8075
Grasshopper

Still no resolution with TV unwatchable pixilation and sound drop so I give up - I have noticed it is always around the same times everyday, and affects both TVs and PVRs + internet. Again I stress the fact that everything works 100% until that time, so it is not any particular equipment and the signal coming out of my wall is "great" when measured by technicians during the day during several home visits. I know for a fact that if I measure my internet speed during the day it is up to 75 or slightly over which is what I am paying for, during the evenings it drops to somewhere around 30/40 - And other customers using Shaw in my building have the same issue (with tv reception).

I have also noticed lower channels are generally better depending on the time but no HD channels.  I didn't get a 4K TV so I can watch lower channels. So now I am mostly relying on apps which work just fine. What I considering presently is to just keeping internet service and cancelling TV for now. I have been advised that if I was to switch all my equipment and get fiber package and all that ,everything would be fine. It doesn't seem logical to me since Shaw is mix fiber/coaxial to my TV (I'm not even sure the fiber is even installed to the building itself). I am quite convinced that my issues are related to Shaw dropping signals during peak time. So just internet and apps would be cheaper and better for me I think...and I am so tired of trying to deal with this. I will explore what my options are after that.

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies with help, much appreciated 

0 Kudos

-- I know for a fact that if I measure my internet speed...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@brooks8075 -- I know for a fact that if I measure my internet speed during the day it is up to 75 or slightly over which is what I am paying for, during the evenings it drops to somewhere around 30/40 - And other customers using Shaw in my building have the same issue (with tv reception).

Ah, you're in a MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building). That makes a difference. Depending on the age of the building, you could have coaxial-cable from the nearest telephone-pole into a "distribution centre" in the basement, with "risers" to a wiring-closet on each floor, with coaxial cables from each wiring-closet into your unit. That's a lot of cable, and a lot of "splits" of the cable, and a resulting loss of signal-strength.  Bad signal-strength results in pixellation on your video, and other symptoms.

> I have also noticed lower channels are generally better depending on the time but no HD channels.  I didn't get a 4K TV so I can watch lower channels.

Currently, Shaw is only offering HD channels, not 4K channels. Some of the YouTube feeds might be 4K resolution.

> I have been advised that if I was to switch all my equipment and get fiber package and all that, everything would be fine.

Shaw calls it "Fiber-Plus" -- fiber-optic cable on the telephone-poles, and coaxial cables into each residence/apartment. But, since Telus now uses "fiber" in their advertising, Shaw started using "Fiber+" -- just "marketing" jargon.

So, if you order "Fibre+" from Shaw, you won't get fiber-optic cable running from the telephone-pole directly into your unit.

One friend does have Telus Fiber Optik, with optical cable running directly into her residence. Another friend on Telus still has copper-wire into her residence, and thus is maxed-out at 75 Mbps.

> It doesn't seem logical to me since Shaw is mix fiber/coaxial to my TV (I'm not even sure the fiber is even installed to the building itself).

Probably not fibre-optic into your building. How many units in your building?

By inspection, from the telephone-pole into your building, you should be able to see that optical cables have smaller diameters than coaxial cables.

> I am quite convinced that my issues are related to Shaw dropping signals during peak time.

But, where does the "drop" occur? I can argue that "peak time" inside your building is the problem, not the Shaw infrastructure up-and-down your street -- which may use fiber-optic cable.

What does your building-management say about the Shaw/Telus wiring coming into their building? Modern? 40 years old? Never updated?

0 Kudos

Hello mdk. You are spot on with all you said...probably i...

brooks8075
Grasshopper

Hello mdk.

You are spot on with all you said...probably isn't much else I can say. It's just that several techs have been testing in my suite and they couldn't spot anything that could be fixed either with me, or downstairs in the cable room, everything that could be done at my end has been done. I even have a "dropbox/amplifier", it helped because without it I barely get anything at all - Where does the drop occur that is the tricky part, it's hard to say where it happens we just know it's not only me. 

And Yes totally old building here, 42 units I think. So yes again, only in peak times, hard for me to wrap my head around how it can be so awesome the rest of the time...the 4K TV maybe require a signal just over what the coaxial can provide during those hours, but the Wi-Fi connected to the same coaxial is just strong enough for me to be able to watch the 4K content on the apps.?  So close yet so far...lol

The Telus people brought their fiber to the building for free, that was 2 years ago I think. So that part is all new, they ran all new fiber wires inside each floor to the suites, and then finished connecting in the suites for free to those who signed in.  - No complaints of drop signal from anyone that I know of with them - I stayed loyal to Shaw and missed the boat on that one.  Bottom line is I have been at this for close to 2 months now and it looks like the odds of anything that can be done to fix it are more than slim. I can only bring it so far, I am sad about it though. 

I thank you so much though, it does feel better to speak about it someone who is genuinely interested and taking time to respond. It will be OK things change that's all... All the best to you

0 Kudos

The issue only happening a certain time of the day is odd...

rstra
Grand Master

@brooks8075 The issue only happening a certain time of the day is odd, but not unheard of. The wiring in the building could the issue, some older buildings from the 60s and 70s were loop wired. The presence of an amp in your suite is a sign that either the building internal wiring is an issue, or the drop coming in to the building is under-rated. Have any of the technicians been in to the eroom? The key to your problem is getting the right technician to take a look. 

0 Kudos

-- It's just that several techs have been testing ... dow...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@brooks8075 -- It's just that several techs have been testing ... downstairs in the cable room

@rstra --  Have any of the technicians been in to the eroom?

As @rstra stated, if the issue is visible in that E(lectrical) room, then the technicians should have gone "further" -- replacing the coaxial-cable between your building and the nearest telephone-pole, or even checking the Shaw infrastructure up-and-down your street.

> I missed the boat 

Sigh. Loyalty to Shaw can only last so long. Hindsight is wonderful. With Telus, their uploads are just as fast as their downloads.  To some Internet users, that is a critical factor. To some, it does not matter.

Can you talk to all the Shaw customers on your floor, to see if they have the same issue? And then, to all the Shaw customers on every other floor, to see if everybody is in the same boat, or one floor is "significantly" the worst?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help