/  -- today, the Shaw Gateway channels (in the 350-someth...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bostonbob / @rstra -- today, the Shaw Gateway channels (in the 350-something range) only have the Blues / Penguins game. VAN/NYI has been postponed -- Canucks don't play until Saturday. EDM/TOR is not available through Centre Ice.

On Channel 350, I am watching STL/PEN, but all the other channels in that range still are tagged as "Free Preview".

So, for me, one free broadcast is better than no free broadcasts.

But, is something wrong?

0 Kudos

Nope - there were only 2 games scheduled for Wednesday -...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@mdk wrote:

@bostonbob / @rstra -- 

On Channel 350, I am watching STL/PEN, but all the other channels in that range still are tagged as "Free Preview".

So, for me, one free broadcast is better than no free broadcasts.

But, is something wrong?

Nope - there were only 2 games scheduled today and one ( Edmonton vs Toronto ) was on Sportsnet so Centre Ice only had 1 game to air. Hopefully you were able to watch the game without any sort of video loss this time. That SHAW CSR in Toronto that you talked with yesterday really had no idea what he/she was talking about.

0 Kudos

I don’t have a lot of confidence in CSRs or TSRs that don...

rstra
Grand Master

@bostonbob I don’t have a lot of confidence in CSRs or TSRs that don’t have any hands-on experience with the services they are supporting. There was a time that all Shaw employees were also customers.

0 Kudos

/  -- Feast or Famine ??? Just one day later, I can watch...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bostonbob / @rstra -- Feast or Famine ???

Just one day later, I can watch 4 different Center Ice channels, plus the Bruins on Sportsnet.

Yes, that "Level 1" CSR in Toronto (who claimed that tagging the channels was an "error") definitely needs more training, and needs better support from the "Level 2" CSR who gave incorrect information/speculation.

Sigh.

0 Kudos

-- here is an (edited) excerpt from my online-chat with S...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bostonbob -- here is an (edited) excerpt from my online-chat with Shaw, a few minutes ago. 

Read it, and weep over the poor training of the Customer Support Representative.

My question was: when will the current free preview of NHL Centre Ice end?

===========================

Info at 18:39, Jan 6:
You are now connected. Love W6W0 is looking into your question.

Love W6W0 at 18:41, Jan 6:
Hi [my name]. Thank you for your patience.
This is Love from Winnipeg technical support.
Thank you for your patience.
Please allow me a moment to find the answer for you.

Love W6W0 at 18:44, Jan 6:
Free Preview September 25, 2021 — October 19, 2021

Love W6W0 at 18:45, Jan 6:

Refer also from the link below for more info:

Love W6W0 at 18:45, Jan 6:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/nhl-centre-ice-returns-for-the-2021-season/ta-p/5852

[my name]
Really? I am watching NHL Centre Ice right now, and it is showing as "(Free Preview") and it's "2022", not "2021". Please try again.

Love W6W0 at 18:46, Jan 6:

I am not but this is showing on our end "Free Preview
All Shaw Cable customers (with compatible hardware) can experience NHL Centre Ice on a free preview between September 25, 2021 — October 19, 2021"

Love W6W0 at 18:47, Jan 6:

Refer from the link above for 2022 schedule as well

[my name] at 18:47, Jan 6:
Can you explain why, on January 6, 2022, that the "Free Preview" is active for me? I am NOT subscribed to those channels.

Love W6W0 at 18:49, Jan 6:

Can you let me know what channel number please

[my name] at 18:52, Jan 6:
Right now, via my Shaw Gateway PVR, I am watching Channel 352 -- Winnipeg Jets versus Colorado Avalanche. The Calgary/TampaBay game that I was watching has ended, so I switched to the Winnipeg Jets game.

Love W6W0 at 18:56, Jan 6:

We don't see anything from our end with free preview schedule and checked your account and confirmed that you are not subscribed. It's a good thing if you can watch the game for free.

Love W6W0 at 18:56, Jan 6:

Oh hold on

[my name] at 18:58, Jan 6:
The Shaw "Guide" on my Gateway PVR is highlighting the channels in the "350" range as being "In Free Preview". The Jets game also is listed as being on TSN3, but I am not subscribed to that channel. Yes, free is good. 🙂

Love W6W0 at 19:00, Jan 6:

Alright so they extend the free preview due to come game cancellation Until the end of the Free Preview (January 9)

Love W6W0 at 19:01, Jan 6:
Sorry typho "covid"

[my name] at 19:01, Jan 6:
Thanks for the end-date information. That's all for today.

Love W6W0 at 19:02, Jan 6:

It will end until Jan 9th

Love W6W0 at 19:02, Jan 6:

It's been a pleasure assisting you today. Is there anything else you need?

==================

Sigh. An 8 minute wait for an Agent, and then 23 minutes to correctly answer a "simple" question.

0 Kudos

Not yet listed on the SHAW Free Previews page ( shocking...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

Not yet listed on the SHAW Free Previews page ( shocking - right ???? ) but other sites show that the following free previews are supposed to be available on SHAW:

Lifetime ( February 1st to February 28th )
OWN Canada ( February 1st to February 28th )

BBC Earth ( February 28th to May 1st )
Cottage Life ( February 28th to May 1st )
T+E ( February 28th to May 1st )

0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up of the upcoming free preview TV c...

shaw-daniel

@bostonbob Thanks for the heads up of the upcoming free preview TV channels. Lifetime HD, OWN Canada HD  will be on a free preview in the month of February 2022, and BBC Earth HD, Cottage Life HD, and T+E HD after Feb 28, 2022, for Shaw Direct Satellite TV subscribers See this link for more updates.

0 Kudos

So Daniel - are you saying that those free previews I lis...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@shaw-daniel wrote:

@bostonbob Thanks for the heads up of the upcoming free preview TV channels. Lifetime HD, OWN Canada HD  will be on a free preview in the month of February 2022, and BBC Earth HD, Cottage Life HD, and T+E HD after Feb 28, 2022, for Shaw Direct Satellite TV subscribers See this link for more updates.

So Daniel - are you saying that those free previews I listed are just for SHAW Direct customers ????  I can't find the story right now it clearly stated that those free previews were going to be on SHAW TV and there was no mention at all of SHAW Direct. But I will say this - after checking out the link you posted it sure looks like the SHAW Direct Free Previews page is kept more up to date than the SHAW Free Previews page.

0 Kudos

We do have different free preview channels for cable subs...

shaw-daniel

@bostonbob We do have different free preview channels for cable subscribers. While Satellite customers can find the upcoming free preview channels on the link above, cable customers can view the free preview channels on this link instead.

0 Kudos

Big update over on the SHAW Free Previews page: https://w...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

Big update over on the SHAW Free Previews page: https://www.shaw.ca/tv/channels/free-previews

And this includes the 3 channels I mentioned earlier ( BBC Earth, T+E and Cottage Life ) and was told that they were only for SHAW Direct customers. Once again - nice job SHAW staying on top of things. By the way - along with a free preview the DIY channel is undergoing a name change too. As of March 28th it will be called the Magnolia Network.

magnolia.jpg

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help