DCX3400-M external hard disc expander compatibility

cjacek
Grasshopper

Hello,

I have a Motorolla DCX3400-M PVR which is currently running low on internal hard drive space. I would like to purchase an external hard drive (expander). Can someone please point to a specific brand/model that I should be looking into? Ideally on Amazon.ca if possible. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

-- because your PVR has two tuners, it can record two cha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@cjacek -- because your PVR has two tuners, it can record two channels while simultaneously playing-back something you previously recorded. When not recording specific programs, it still is recording from both tuners, so that you can "rewind" a few minutes of "live" TV on either tuner. So, the disk-drive is actively "working" 24/7 -- as long as the PVR is powered-on.

So,  you need an external disk-drive with higher performance & reliability, and an "external SATA" ("eSATA") interface to connect to your PVR.

When I used the "search" function on Amazon.ca, I searched for "extermal esata dvr expander", and found (allegedly) suitable devices.

I don't know if your PVR will handle a 4TB disk-drive. It certainly will be compatible with a 1TB disk-drive, such as the "Shaw Expander" (1TB Seagate) that Shaw sold, in the past, when Shaw was able to wholesale-purchase such units for retail sale to Shaw customers.

Thank you so much for such a quick and informative reply....

cjacek
Grasshopper

@mdk Thank you so much for such a quick and informative reply. I appreciate the time you took. I will start hunting for an eSATA drive probably with 1TB (a safe bet) and will post again if I have any follow up question. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos

you need an eSATA hard drive.  I don't know if these are...

Trishi
Grasshopper

you need an eSATA hard drive.  I don't know if these are still available  check Best Buy and Amazon.  Or  I have one I never opened.  I'm in Victoria BC, if you would like to purchase it for $50 plus shipping.  It's yours. 

0 Kudos

It's a 1TB

Trishi
Grasshopper

It's a 1TB

0 Kudos

-- I don't know if these are still available  check Best...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Trishi -- I don't know if these are still available  check Best Buy and Amazon.  

To repeat, when I used the "search" function on Amazon.ca, I searched for "external esata dvr expander", I found (allegedly) suitable devices.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help