Does BlueCurve TV require Shaw Internet

MartinSG
Grasshopper

We currently have a very old Shaw TV package with 2 DCX-3400 boxes.  We would like to upgrade to Bluecurve TV but are being told that we need to add Shaw internet to access Bluecurve TV.  I do not understand why this is the case.  Shaw shows TV only plans on their website and the landing page indicates that you can have a voice remote (only available with Bluecurve).  There is nothing on this page that indicates you need to add internet.  All of the Bluecurve hardware (with the exception of the wireless box) have coaxial inputs and are clearly wired to the existing cable outputs.  Why then do we need Shaw internet to get Bluecurve TV?

Labels (1)
18 Replies

That is just how Shaw bundles the two services together.

rstra
Grand Master

0 Kudos

Hi  the reason you must have internet to access Blue Curv...

g-idk
Master

Hi @MartinSG the reason you must have internet to access Blue Curve TV is that it is IPTV based and your channels for the tv come from the internet, unlike the older system that still uses the coxial cable to provide your tv channels.  So if you want Blue Curve tv you must get Blue Curve internet.  The older system does not offer all the extra HD channels vs SD.  One thing to watch for though if your internet goes down so does your tv with the new system, so for me right now I'm sticking to the old system separate Internet Modem and separate HD box. But lot's of people love the new system and lot's hate it.  Hope this helps.  

0 Kudos

I do not believe you need to subscribe to an internet ser...

Zeph
Grasshopper

I do not believe you need to subscribe to an internet service in order to subscribe to BlueCurve TV, as I'll give my reasons for this. Your BlueCurve TV service delivers it's channels via IPTV, which is delivered directly from the cable company (Shaw) via your coaxial cable on a specific frequency (or channel). This frequency is different from what the digital TV (non-IPTV), Internet, and Phone (VoIP) services are delivered on. Your BlueCurve TV set-top box is capable of accessing the internet via features such a YouTube or Netflix, which do require an internet connection in order to use those features, as a modem would be needed. Information from Shaw such as TV listings, weather, and such gets sent to the BlueCurve IPTV set-top box specifically, but the box can only send out to the internet via an internet connection.. for example, accessing YouTube or Netflix from your TV. In the long term, every cable company is planning on delivering TV services via IPTV, which is why they, along with other cable companies, encourage customers to make the switch to an IPTV service.. as IPTV can deliver more services, whether it's interactive or even 4K TV within time.

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the comments, but this is...

MartinSG
Grasshopper

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the comments, but this is just like my experience with customer service.  The first rep that I spoke with (for well over an hour) assured me that I could get Bluecurve without Shaw internet, since I specifically told her I had internet through Telus.  I spend the weekend comparing channels to my old plan to ensure I wasn't losing anything important and when I called back to order, I was told no internet, no Bluecurve.  Not sure if these forums are moderated by Shaw employees, but I would sure like a definitive answer please.

0 Kudos

The BlueCurve terminal has an internal modem...so no inte...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

The BlueCurve terminal has an internal modem...so no internet service required. Channels are primarily QAM(coaxial) while the guide and on demand is IPTV. This is a hybrid system.

The wireless TV boxes are completely IPTV so Shaw internet service is required. 

I was answering from the point of view of the service bei...

rstra
Grand Master

I was answering from the point of view of the service being offered. Technology aside, Shaw requires you to have their internet service to have BlueCurve TV service. That is how they chose to bundled the BlueCurve product. If they wanted, I am sure that Shaw could just dedicate the BC gateway modem to BC TV and allow third party internet, kind of like what they do for the Arris Gateway. 

0 Kudos

So bottom line, this is a marketing decision rather than...

MartinSG
Grasshopper

So bottom line, this is a marketing decision rather than a technology one?  It would seem then, that there is significant false advertising on their webpage.  Since, when one clicks on TV Plans, there is immediately a picture of a BlueCurve box with a BlueCurve remote, and later on the page, it specifically says you can use your voice to search for shows.  Nowhere on this page does it indicate that Shaw internet is required for these services.  Perhaps I should forward this information to the CRTC.

It may or may not be marketing, even if it BC worked over...

rstra
Grand Master

It may or may not be marketing, even if it BC worked over a third party, Shaw would prefer to have their content delivered over their own network. Telus Optik, Rogers Ignite are also both packaged with internet. You can still get TV only from Shaw, just not BlueCurve TV. 

0 Kudos

Apologies   I wasn’t responding to you directly. I have b...

rickatk
Master

@rstra wrote:

I was answering from the point of view of the service being offered. Technology aside, Shaw requires you to have their internet service to have BlueCurve TV service. That is how they chose to bundled the BlueCurve product. If they wanted, I am sure that Shaw could just dedicate the BC gateway modem to BC TV and allow third party internet, kind of like what they do for the Arris Gateway. 

Apologies @rstra  I wasn’t responding to you directly. I have been having problems with the messages mis quoting. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help