espial TV

bostonbob
Grasshopper

Tonight I rebooted my Gateway system ( it helps when the remote functions start acting sluggish ) and I noticed something weird. Instead of the usual Avent ( or whatever it was called ) logo that appears during the reboot process I saw this logo on my screen:

espial.png

I couldn't find other changes on the Diagnostics page so I tried the SHAW chat option but the person I talked with knew nothing about this change and said it might have something to with my TV. 😖 There's nothing at all on the SHAW site about this change and all I can find online about espial TV is that it has something to with Android TV which should not have anything to do with the Gateway system. Can anybody here shed some light on this ????

Labels (1)
14 Replies

It’s an app on your TV, it is available on my Sony Bravia...

rstra
Grand Master

It’s an app on your TV, it is available on my Sony Bravia.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.espial.elevate.mobile&hl=en_US&gl=US

The EspialTV by Enghouse app allows you to watch your favorite channels and movies on your Android device. The app gives you access to your live TV channels from your cable or Internet provider right on your Android mobile and tablet devices.
Downloading of the app is free. To watch TV, you need to sign-in with your username and password provided to you from your cable or Internet provider.”

I don't even have an Android TV nor do I have anything at...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

I don't even have an Android TV nor do I have anything attached to my TV that would allow this function. This logo only appears when I reboot the Gateway.

Looks like it must be part of the gateway then. https://w...

rstra
Grand Master

Looks like it must be part of the gateway then, but that goes back a few years, funny it didn’t show up until now.

https://www.broadbandtechreport.com/in-the-home/cpe/article/16438183/espial-buying-arris-whole-home-...

0 Kudos

I guess maybe something happened with the last overnight...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@rstra wrote:

Looks like it must be part of the gateway then, but that goes back a few years, funny it didn’t show up until now.

https://www.broadbandtechreport.com/in-the-home/cpe/article/16438183/espial-buying-arris-whole-home-...

I guess maybe something happened with the last overnight update. I just wish SHAW could stay on top of things like this and give us some sort of update on their website and maybe even let their CSRs know what the hell is going on so they could tell us. 

0 Kudos

It doesn't look like anything has changed with this switc...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

It doesn't look like anything has changed with this switch as far as having any functions being added or deleted. I looked all over the settings pages and the only mention of espial tv was on page 2 on the " Account Information " page where they have espial_base and espial_native listed. Still find it strange that there has been absolutely no mention of this switchover on the SHAW site. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised but I am.

0 Kudos

I came across a video from an Eastlink customer demonstra...

rstra
Grand Master

@bostonbob I came across a video from an Eastlink customer demonstrating his Arris Gateway, I don’t think Shaw would offer this feature to Gateway customers.

9C644FB5-D2AD-461D-BA8E-691AE3BC4BD5.jpeg

0 Kudos

You can purchase a Firestick from Amazon and connect it t...

Bobbipoo
Grasshopper

You can purchase a Firestick from Amazon and connect it to your tv with HDMI CABLE and internet account and you can watch any streaming service that you have an account with.  I have one and I can log into my Netflix, Prime Video or Apple tv account. 

0 Kudos

The Gateway is a PVR and its technology is too old to do...

Bobbipoo
Grasshopper

The Gateway is a PVR and its technology is too old to do much more than record to its 6 tv tuners for playback. If you want newer technology you need the bluecurve but it is limited to recording two programs at once. I love my gateway and would never get the bluecurve. 

0 Kudos

The espialtv update for the gateway would just be to enab...

Bobbipoo
Grasshopper

The espialtv update for the gateway would just be to enable an app like the shaw bluecurve app that allows you to watch your cable tv from any device. I worked for Shaw as a TSR and it takes a few meetings to get all the current info to relay to customers. I still think Shaw is the best overall company for customer service and I would NEVER switch. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help