Freerange TV Performance Sucks

Not applicable

Why is freerange tv quality so poor? I have internet 300/600 and I can't watch a hockey game without constant image quality issues. It doesn't matter what device I use. It's poor on my desktop, iPad and Google phone. I can watch streams from pretty much any other source without issue. Why does Shaw's service perform so poorly?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Freerange TV Performance Sucks

shaw-tony

Hey justask12345,

Thank you for reaching out! I haven't heard of any reports of image quality issues with FreeRange TV. I gave it a test on my end here and the application on all devices are working as expected. I'd recommend clicking the cog on the bottom right and selecting "High" video playback quality. Let me know how that goes for you.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Thanks for the response and the suggestion. I tried this and it did't seem to help.

Are all channels streamed by the same service? For whatever reason it appears to be worse for hockey games than for other sports. For example, I watched a NFL football game with no issues. Yet if I watch a Jets game, the performance is brutal on both TSN and SportsNet. Could it be the level of detail being rendered?

Hardware wise I have ample processing power. I'm not sure if there are additional tweaks I can try with the Adobe side of things or not. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Resolved. 

Turns out my pfsense firewall was causing the performance issues specifically for flash streaming. I made some adjustments and things seem to be much better.

This explains why all other streaming services (which are HTML5 based) were performing without issue. Looking forward to the day HTML5 is Shaw's platform as well...

Not applicable

Care to elaborate on the firewall adjustments as I am using openwrt having the terrible picture breakups . Has not seemed to matter what router combo is used , most random seeming issue and happens constantly. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I followed the instructions in the following article:

Think Harder » Fixed Poor Netflix Performance with pfSense 

0 Kudos

I had bad performance for too. Looked at the Firewall bu...

sleeperz
Grasshopper

I had bad performance for FRTV too.  Looked at the Firewall but these days with the Actiontec 3200M you have uPNP so most applications should work without port forwarding to handle streaming over HTML or something like that.   Also considered the Microsoft Firewall and using an exception.  But I figured I would  try the easiest to change first the Ad Blocker, going against the grain that Ad Blockers speed things up and there are no ads in FRTV only that the Ad Blocker is checking what FRTV is streaming.  I use Opera with a built in Ad Blocker and I guess with every update they change something so after one update performance got worst..   So turning off the Ad Blocker for FreeRange TV  and everything is GOOD.   Streaming use to be jerky at low quality and high was worst.  Now I can run FRTV on Auto and no performance issues.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help