Issues cloud pvr

shawgill
Grasshopper

I have an important question and then a statement for anyone out there that’s interested or waiting to get cloud PVR. first off the question , will all recordings on blue sky TV boxes End up being As cloud pvr?

we’ve had a few that ended up in cloud PVR and it’s absolutely terrible!  for any sporting event or event where you’re skipping ahead or rewind 30 seconds or 60 seconds at a time there’s a big lag and the picture goes all fuzzy as it’s trying to catch up to the stream. terrible terrible service been a shaw customer for 24 years but if all recordings will end up cloud PVR I will be getting rid of the system right away! hope there’s a technician on hand or someone who can answer this. Tried calling Shaw and got two completely different sets of answers one said no it’s a separate box for all cloud PVR recordings the other said no all your recordings will be cloud PVR so they don’t even know

Labels (1)
7 Replies

Sounds like there are still some bugs to work out with th...

rickatk
Master

@shawgill wrote:

I have an important question and then a statement for anyone out there that’s interested or waiting to get cloud PVR. first off the question , will all recordings on blue sky TV boxes End up being As cloud pvr?

we’ve had a few that ended up in cloud PVR and it’s absolutely terrible!  for any sporting event or event where you’re skipping ahead or rewind 30 seconds or 60 seconds at a time there’s a big lag and the picture goes all fuzzy as it’s trying to catch up to the stream. terrible terrible service been a shaw customer for 24 years but if all recordings will end up cloud PVR I will be getting rid of the system right away! hope there’s a technician on hand or someone who can answer this. Tried calling Shaw and got two completely different sets of answers one said no it’s a separate box for all cloud PVR recordings the other said no all your recordings will be cloud PVR so they don’t even know

Sounds like there are still some bugs to work out with the whole cloud pvr technology. I don’t get particularly excited about PVR and would much rather see a robust library of shows, seasons and episodes that can be accessed any time without delay. This is where the streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, Crave TV and Gem have “on demand” beat. In order for Cloud PVR, Free Range TV and wireless cable hardware to work and be competitive it will have to be very responsive, free of the problems reported in this forum.

Ironically I have found, all of these streaming apps run very well on streaming hardware like Apple TV or even TV apps all on Shaw’s very good internet service. 

Frankly 

0 Kudos

Thanks Grasshopper, and you are right the "idea" is a gre...

shawgill
Grasshopper

Thanks Grasshopper, and you are right the "idea" is a great one - no more storage on device, can download and take things with you. The issue is the user technology is not quite there yet. We use PVR all the time, its great for zipping ahead in tv shows etc.

I did speak to another customer service rep that said they will not fully launch cloud PVR until all bugs are worked out, will trust Shaw on this one, but right now we get cloud recordings and they are terrible.

0 Kudos

If you live in an area where cloud PVR is available, then...

shaw-valerie

@shawgill If you live in an area where cloud PVR is available, then the majority of new programs that you record will be stored on the cloud, so that you have access to them from anywhere via FreerangeTV. There are a few channels not available for cloud recording where the content would still be recorded to the hard drive on your BlueSky TV box, however, the expectation is that all content will be moving towards being recorded to cloud storage in the future. 

The issues you report when skipping ahead in recordings seem a bit odd though, when compared to my own personal experience with cloud recordings. Have you done any troubleshooting steps with the agents you had spoken with on the phone? 

0 Kudos

Have tried with agents on 3 separate calls, even swapped...

shawgill
Grasshopper

Have tried with agents on 3 separate calls, even swapped out our box for a brand new one. Finally had one cloud recording that didn't have this issue yesterday.

Have appointment for in house technician, what should they be looking for exactly? 

thanks for the reply/support - much appreciated as I love Shaw (24 years with you guys) and don't want to have to leave now.

0 Kudos

As the equipment has already been swapped out with the is...

shaw-valerie

@shawgill As the equipment has already been swapped out with the issue remaining, the technician would likely be looking more into the signal to your home, as a signal issue could cause slower performance which may be the cause of the issues that you've been seeing. 

0 Kudos

While I don’t use the cloud PVR service much, my wife doe...

rickatk
Master

While I don’t use the cloud PVR service much, my wife does. I don’t hear any complaints. From her perspective Cloud PVR is pretty much the same as before with the local storage(my words). I do peek in to the Cloud PVR on our account  using my BlueCurve  wireless player in another room and everything looks fine. Shows are being recorded and deleted. As they should. I also look at the Cloud PVR on the BlueCurve TV app, same activity.

While I was not really a big fan of PVR, I will say PVR has been popular with other users in my household. Cloud PVR has been a success so far. This feature certainly separates the Cable Co’s from the regular streaming services.

0 Kudos

To answer your first question, Yes... as of the date of m...

Zeph
Grasshopper

To answer your first question, Yes... as of the date of my post, all the recordings on the BlueSky (BlueCurve) set-top box will end up on the Cloud PVR.

For roughly 2 months or more so, I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue, but I'm glad I've found your post mentioning the exact problem I've been having, and it's getting to be extremely annoying. I use the cloud PVR all the time with my computer, and as mentioned for about 2 months or so for just about every recording I'm viewing on the cloud, it starts out fuzzy, and sometimes I just need to be patient for the stream to become clear or sharp. I even recall one time I was using the skip feature to fast forward and even to rewind, just to see if the video would lock in clearly, and it didn't work. I don't recall this problem happening before the last 2 months, but it's happening the majority of the time now, and I wish there was a fix for this issue. Even the lag issue when fast forwarding and rewinding has become so bad at times, I just do not have the patience to wait for the recording to resume. And I will point out that the lag issue is not due to a slow internet speed, as I'm currently using Shaw Fibre+ Gig and the problem is present, and that this problem occurs on my end via internet connection from the cloud, and not the cable connection from the set-top box to the TV.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help