Looking for alternatives to Ignite TV

IHateRogers
Grasshopper

After 4 days on the Ignite TV system (after Rogers forced me to give up my HDPVR Gateway) I cannot stand this any longer.  These are my deal breakers:

• Not being able to switch between up 6 different channels (especially for live sports and news broadcasts) without losing the ability to immediately rewind the action precisely as I want.

• Not being able to pause, rewind and replay key moments in super slow motion.

• The entire interface so badly designed.  Its also clunky and lags terribly.

• The buttons on the remote are ridiculously hard to press.

I am in the BC interior.  Does Telus Optik TV have the above capabilities?  Are there any TV providers that offer equipment with either built in tuners and/or the above capability?

Labels (1)
9 Replies

Hi  , Telus isn't much better it is all iptv now no more...

g-idk
Master

Hi @IHateRogers , Telus isn't much better it is all iptv now no more hard disk pvrs.  Welcome to the so-called future.  The buttons on the remote should not be hard to press, you may need a new remote.  Wish I could give you better news, maybe someone else on here knows a t.v. provider for you.  

Telus doesn’t have what you are looking for, maybe they c...

rstra
Grand Master

@IHateRogers Telus doesn’t have what you are looking for, maybe they can pause longer. Satellite might have what you are looking, but only two tuners. Cable TV is dead now and eventually there won’t be any cable to the home.

Thanks for your replies - I am coming to the same conclus...

IHateRogers
Grasshopper

@g-idk @rstra 

Thanks for your replies - I am coming to the same conclusion as you have both suggested.  It's a shame as the convenience and capabilities of old cable based HDPVR seem like something that SHOULD be able to be replicated with IPTV software.  But for now it appears there is no equivalent alternative.

Again, appreciate your replies.

-- the GlobalTV.com web-site states that you may watch ep...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@IHateRogers -- the GlobalTV.com web-site states that you may watch episodes of their shows, without signing-in, for 7 days after the episode's broadcast. Cost: zero!

- good to know, thanks for the info!

IHateRogers
Grasshopper

@mdk - good to know, thanks for the info!

0 Kudos

I have also switched from my old Gateway PVR to the new I...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

I have also switched from my old Gateway PVR to the new Ignite XI6 box and platform. I haven't experienced the issues that you have detailed, but then again our viewing habits are rather simple. I'm not sure if my wife it totally happy with the change though.

Our plan is up for renewal in November. This is where the rubber hits the road as we are very happy with our existing, and grandfathered, Shaw plan. If we are told that plan no long is available or there is an exorbitant price increase, I will look into two bandwidth resellers that I am aware of. Teksavvy and Freedom Mobile both re-sell Shaw bandwidth. Both offer internet and tv. The Tv offering is also know as OTT (over the top) where you download an app to your favourite device (Apple TV, Firestick, Chromecast, etc.) that provides you with a linear tv channel guide. You can susbcribe to a basic package and add theme packs. Teksavvy also offers a home phone service. Freedom does not.

A concern of mine is the e-mail account. Having been with Shaw for so long (24 years) it has been widely disseminate (family, friends, etc.). I have taken steps to migrate to a gmail account in case we do the switch.

As far as cost goes from my research these two are more than competitive with Shaw/Rogers. Are they as technically reliable? I can't really say. My son did swith his home internet to Teksavvy a couple of years ago and hasn't had any major or unsolvable issues.

0 Kudos

I have looked at third party TV providers as well. The pr...

rstra
Grand Master

@nanuuk  I have looked at third party TV providers as well. The price was only slightly better on those services, and there is no way to record. Freedom allows you to pause, start from the beginning, and on demand certain programs  for up to 7 days after air date. Third party internet is fine, we have it in our vacation property.

0 Kudos

wrote we are very happy with our existing, and grandfathe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@nanuuk wrote we are very happy with our existing, and grandfathered, Shaw plan. If we are told that plan no longer is available or there is an exorbitant price increase

My two-year Value Plan had 2 months left, when I renewed.

Before: Total TV channels, 500/100 Mbps Internet.

After: Ultimate TV channels, 1000/200 Mbps Internet, but no STARZ channel.

I'm paying just $9/month more (before taxes). I negotiated a $25 "fee credit", so I am paying for the last 2 months at the "current" rate, not the "new" (and higher) rate.

Yes, I will be paying about 5% more per month, but what has NOT gone up in price in the last 2 years?

Exorbitant?  I don't think so, Tim -- (quote from Tool Time, and More Power).

0 Kudos

Unfortunately there are no alternatives, there is a strea...

acarnold909
Grasshopper

Unfortunately there are no alternatives, there is a streaming app called River tv (that I believe is $17 per month no contract) it has your local Global TV & CBC tv stations & CBC News Network plus others such as Showcase, Adult Swim, History Channel National Geographic, Food Network,Slice, YTV, Family Jr, etc, over 38 channels, no sports channels though, plus no American network channels.

0 Kudos