Yup, it’s a broadcast issue. Our BC interior town is havi...

rstra
Grand Master

@kabalguy  Yup, it’s a broadcast issue. Our BC interior town is having the same issue with CTV Vancouver. 

0 Kudos

wrote: Our BC interior town is having the same issue with...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra wrote: Our BC interior town is having the same issue with CTV Vancouver. 

Is there anybody in Vancouver reading this who can receive that channel "over-the-air" ? If so, does that format of their broadcast include the Described Video? 

0 Kudos

That would be one way to check if it was from the source,...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  That would be one way to check if it was from the source, but then Rogers customers in the lower mainland would be experiencing the same issue (assuming Rogers distributes the ota signal and not satellite).

I have been meaning to go to my in-law’s house during prime time to check their Optik TV, but I really thought the problem would have been resolved by now. Plus, there are only a couple a shows I watch on that channel, and I was able to switch to the US channels.

0 Kudos

wrote:  (assuming Rogers distributes the OTA signal and n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra wrote:  (assuming Rogers distributes the OTA signal and not satellite).

Found online:

For Immediate Release - August 17, 2021

Over-the-Air Transmitters Now Broadcasting CTV High-Definition Signals in Toronto and Vancouver -- CTV becomes first national conventional broadcaster to transmit HD over-the-air --

Toronto, Ontario (August 17, 2021) - CTV Inc. today announced it has completed installation of two over-the-air High Definition transmitters in Canada's two largest English-language markets, Toronto and Vancouver. With both transmitters now fully operational, CTV becomes the first national conventional broadcaster transmitting over-the-air in High Definition.

CTV's HD signals, identified as "CTV HD East" and "CTV HD West," are now being transmitted from Toronto's CN Tower and B.C.'s Mount Seymour respectively. There, viewers with an HD-capable television equipped with a digital tuner and antenna can pull the HD signal off air.

So, if you are in Vancouver, in a sight-line to Mount Seymour above the north shore of the Fraser River, you should be able to receive their "OTA" signal. CTV Vancouver uses a satellite-dish to receive content (from Toronto), and then forwards it (via wire, not wireless) to Mount Seymour. 

Thus, the consumer does not need to have any "satellite-gear" to receive the OTA signal -- just an antenna, and a HD Tuner inside their TV.

See: https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=print_market&mktid=19

for a long list of OTA channels in Greater Vancouver (some from Victoria & Bellingham). It makes it feasible to "cut-the-cord" and not pay Shaw/Rogers for TV.

0 Kudos

I was referring to Rogers redistribution of the CTV broad...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk I was referring to Rogers redistribution of the CTV broadcast, I don’t know if they use the OTA signal or the satellite.

0 Kudos