NBC Spokane Descriptive Audio

kabalguy
Grasshopper

NBC Spokane has Descriptive Audio being fed from the source. But Shaw denies it is happening 

Labels (1)
14 Replies

Which city are you in? Is it actually happening on NBC br...

rstra
Grand Master

@kabalguy Which city are you in? Is it actually happening on NBC broadcasts, on simsubs with another channel or both?  I assume that you’ve checked the descriptive video settings on the cable box.

0 Kudos

I'm in Calgary. It is only on NBC Spokane, and, of course...

kabalguy
Grasshopper

I'm in Calgary. It is only on NBC Spokane, and, of course, only when a show has descriptive audio.

I have checked the descriptive audio settings on the cable box and my TV.

It is only that channel.

It also happens when using the Ignite TV app, so this is not isolated to my house or devices

0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I don’t get the Spokane feed so I can’t ch...

rstra
Grand Master

@kabalguy  Unfortunately, I don’t get the Spokane feed so I can’t check. I am wondering if it isn’t actually NBC but a sim sub channel. For example, if you watch AGT tonight on NBC, you would be seeing the CTV sim sub. 

In my BC town, we are having issues with CTV broadcasting the descriptive video and we can’t get CTV or Rogers support to recognize that it is a problem. They check their broadcast, and is fine on their end. All I ask is for them to get someone at the head end in our town to take a look.

Anyway, since you are in Calgary, the problem should be identified pretty quickly and fixed.

0 Kudos

I totally get what you're saying. I understand how channe...

kabalguy
Grasshopper

I totally get what you're saying. I understand how channels like Global and CTV have the rights to a broadcast when a show is airing on those channels and the American channels at the same time.

But, the descriptive audio doesn't happen when Global or CTV are the primary channel.

The descriptive audio shows up when in watching just the NBC Spokane feed.

0 Kudos

-- are you hearing "descriptive audio" or see "closed cap...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kabalguy -- are you hearing "descriptive audio" or see "closed captioning" ?

Have you configured just that one channel to permit descriptive audio?

Can you walk-in to a Rogers/Shaw store-front in Calgary, and get them to access that channel on their equipment?

0 Kudos

I'm heading Descriptive Audio, on shows that have Descrip...

kabalguy
Grasshopper

I'm heading Descriptive Audio, on shows that have Descriptive Audio.

How do you configure one channel to have Descriptive Audio?

Every time it happens, I have checked the audio settings on the cable box and my TV and both are turned off.

I have not gone to a Shaw store, yet. Would need to plan it for a time that a show is on that has Descriptive Audio 

0 Kudos

I’m outside of Calgary and NBC - KHQ Spokane has had this...

nic9945
Grasshopper

I’m outside of Calgary and NBC - KHQ Spokane has had this issue for a few weeks. I’ve checked all settings. My parents are having the same issue with this channel and they are in BC. I’ve checked the feeds for the shows on the Canadian channels (usually City TV) and no issues with described video.  Definitely appears to be a feed issue specifically from KHQ Spokane. 

0 Kudos

-- the audio settings on the cable box and my TV and both...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kabalguy -- the audio settings on the cable box and my TV and both are turned off.

And you're still hearing the Descriptive Audio? By "off", do you mean "Stereo" versus "Mono" versus "SAP [Stereo Alternate Program]" ?

I presume that the only connection between the cable-box and your TV is an HDMI-cable -- no other cables?  No stereo-receiver, driving 5 or 7 audio-output channels?

Does your Shaw TV box have its own "audio-output" sockets, where you can plug-in an ordinary pair of stereo speakers? Do you hear the D.A. through those speakers?

Got a different TV with a control for "Stereo-versus-SAP" audio settings that work?  Or, maybe a computer-monitor with its own built-in speakers, or a provision for "audio-output" that would override those built-in speakers?

0 Kudos

We just moved and I showed the Shaw technician. I used to...

kabalguy
Grasshopper

We just moved and I showed the Shaw technician.

I used to be a Shaw technician.

This isn't some silly mistake on my set up.

It's a source problem that Shaw is pretending doesn't exist.