New Shaw Stream Device

rstra
Grand Master

Shaw has just released the new Shaw Stream device for Fiber+ customers with 250 or up. Comes with a streaming box and voice remote, and has a few apps, including Netflix, YouTube and Prime, plus some B-grade apps. This service is for internet only customers as BlueCurve TV customers already have these apps.

I am not sure what the purpose is, Shaw Stream doesn’t include an option for customers to buy some Shaw channels and it also has a limited number of apps, and, at $5 a month, I would just buy a FireTV stick and get access to dozens of services (including AppleTV and Disney Plus).

Here is the link.

https://www.shaw.ca/internet/streaming

Labels (1)
16 Replies

, I agree, I don't really see the advantage for me to ren...

g-idk
Master

@rstra , I agree, I don't really see the advantage for me to rent this new box.  Especially considering I'm a Disney Plus subscriber and Shaw for whatever reason (???) has gone totally silent on offering the App.

-- I am not sure what the purpose [of Shaw Stream] is .....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- I am not sure what the purpose [of Shaw Stream] is ..

I have a room with no coaxial-cable outlet, the new XB7 cable-modem, and an older Shaw Gateway HDPVR.

So, unless I pay a cable-installer to add a coaxial-cable outlet in that room, I have no way to use MOCA from my HDPVR to a MOCA-capable Shaw TV box (which I have, gathering dust) located in that room.

Now, I will be able to connect over WiFi from the XB7 to the Shaw Stream device in that room, and put a TV in that room. Ideally, the TV would have one HDMI-port for the Shaw Stream device, and an additional HDMI port (or DisplayPort) to connect to a WiFi-using computer.

Yes, this would be an unusual setup, but, until I switch to a BlueCurve TV box (forfeiting all the stored content on the PVR), it should work.

For me, at some point, paying $5/month (plus taxes) for the Shaw Stream device will become more than paying once to the cable-installer. C'est la vie!

0 Kudos

Yes, you can do that, but you won’t be able to watch TV c...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  Yes, you can do that, but you won’t be able to watch TV channels on that device. 

0 Kudos

-- if I have an Internet-connected computer in that room,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- if I have an Internet-connected computer in that room, I can stream through the computer to the live TV broadcasts from TSN/SportsNet/etc. via their web-sites.

0 Kudos

You can do whatever you want with your computer, even wat...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  You can do whatever you want with your computer, even watch BlueCurve TV, but regular live TV channels are not available on the Shaw Stream device.

0 Kudos

-- You can do whatever you want with your computer, even...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- You can do whatever you want with your computer, even watch BlueCurve TV,

Thank you for giving that permission to me.    😉

>> but you won’t be able to watch TV channels on that device. 

> but regular live TV channels are not available on the Shaw Stream device.

Is there an echo here? You seem to be repeating yourself.

0 Kudos

Here is a link with an overview and FAQ that explains the...

rstra
Grand Master

Here is a link with an overview and FAQ that explains the new Shaw Stream device.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/shaw-stream-overview-faq/ta-p/52584

0 Kudos

I just went through installing the Shaw Stream box and ha...

Tillym1
Grasshopper

I just went through installing the Shaw Stream box and have not figured out yet how useful or cost effective it will be for me, but my issue is that now that I have the installation done, I cannot control the volume on my TV with any remote!

I used to control the volume through my Samsung DVD Home Theater System HT-TX55 but now there is no way to turn it up or down, unless I physically get up and turn it up or down. A pain in the neck when commercials come on! I hope someone more technically educated then me can help with this, please.

0 Kudos

I have no experience with this device, here is a link to...

rstra
Grand Master

@Tillym1  I have no experience with this device, here is a link to the instructions for programming the remote.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/how-to-use-the-shaw-stream-voice-remote-xr16/ta-p/52586#conte...

Please let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help