No remotes for basic Shaw cable that is easy for an elderly person to use.

Carol5052
Grasshopper

The past few months my 93 year old mom has been having trouble using her remote for her basic Shaw tv. She just watches a few channels and knows those numbers. She sometimes presses the wrong button on the remote and loses her TV picture. The buttons are small and she has trouble seeing them as she only has the use of one eye. I have gone to her home many times to try to get her TV service back. I can't figure out how to get the TV working again and sometimes it comes back on but I don't know how. I have called the service people and they don't have a clue either. They can't tell me the sequence of buttons to press to get the darn thing working again. I am so frustrated with Shaw for not considering the needs of the handicapped and the elderly. Why can't you provide a remote that is simple to use. One on/off button period. And larger so that there is no mistake when pressing buttons. Bright colours. Shaw used to have this type of remote but it is no longer used. Why not? 

Then the customer service people always want to sign her up with Blue Curve. Why should she pay for a product that she would never use. She only watches three or four channels and always the same shows. She navigates by using the number pad. She uses the volume control. That's it. She has basic cable and that is all she wants and needs. 

I am so frustrated with the system and with the company. Too bad my mom doesn't have a choice of TV provider where she lives. 

So frustrated with it all.......;;..

Labels (1)
4 Replies

contact Shaw and ask them to send a Transport remote. BTW...

rstra
Grand Master

@Carol5052 contact Shaw and ask them to send a Transport remote. BTW, switching providers wouldn’t help anyway, Telus remotes are a nightmare.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/how-to-use-your-shaw-remote-control/ta-p/6641#content-section...

0 Kudos

Hi  , just a heads up that link you provided does show th...

g-idk
Master

Hi @rstra , just a heads up that link you provided does show the Transport remote, but it also states that it is no longer distributed.  I haven't personally seen one in years.  If I'm wrong please correct me.  

0 Kudos

Thanks, good catch, I see that now.   You might be able t...

rstra
Grand Master

@g-idk  Thanks, good catch, I see that now.

@Carol5052  You might be able to find a simple remote on Amazon or other electronics retailers.

The new BlueCurve TV remote is voice controlled, making i...

anosingh
Grasshopper

@Carol5052The new BlueCurve TV remote is voice controlled, making it simple to change channels or look for them. However, in order to use this function, you may need to upgrade to a newer TV box.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/how-to-use-your-shaw-remote-control/ta-p/6641#content-section...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help