pvr box displays word HUNT

Ivica
Grasshopper

My pvr box displays word "hunt" - why?

19 Replies

Try rebooting the box by unplugging the power from it for...

shaw-valerie

@Ivica Try rebooting the box by unplugging the power from it for 10-15 seconds and plugging it back in. If it's still not booting up normally, get in touch with our technical support team so we can take a further look into it! 

0 Kudos

I've been having this problem the past couple of years wi...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

I've been having this problem the past couple of years with my PVR screen sometimes showing HUNT.  Then it will disappear for a few months or so.  But for the past week the PVR screen has been showing HUNT nearly non-stop.  

Has anyone been able to successfully rectify this problem and if so, how?  Thanks!

0 Kudos

If you're getting stuck on this message, first try to reb...

shaw-valerie

@merrymermaid If you're getting stuck on this message, first try to reboot the PVR by unplugging the power for 15-30 seconds, then plugging it back in and allowing it to boot back up. If the PVR again gets stuck on HUNT, it could indicate a signal issue, so try unscrewing the coaxial cable from the back of the PVR and reconnect it, then do the same at the other end where the coaxial cable connects to the cable outlet, to ensure there isn't a loose connection that is interfering with the signal. If there is a splitter on the line, if possible, try to temporarily bypass that.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, get in touch with our technical support team here, so they can run some further tests to your equipment, and setup a service appointment if necessary. 

0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your feedback, Valerie.  A couple days...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks so much for your feedback, Valerie.  A couple days ago I was able to determine what the problem was.  I realized I had way too many components plugged into my 2 electrical outlets and the old wiring in my older house didn't have the capacity to handle them all.  So...I moved a lot of things to other areas of the house such as my 2nd desktop computer, a heavy-duty lamp and I removed an old DVD player I never use.  Once I did that and my outlets were freed up my PVR started working perfectly.  Obviously the time has come to up wiring ~   amp from 60 to 100 😉  

Happy Holidays and thanks again, Valerie.   

Guess I spoke and gloated too soon ;-)  Shortly after I c...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Guess I spoke and gloated too soon 😉  Shortly after I cancelled my Dec 20th Shaw appointment the HUNT showed up again on my PVR screen. 

I hadn't been able to get the coaxial cable unscrewed because it was so tightly screwed in.  So today I got out an adjustable wrench and it did the trick.  I unscrewed the coaxial cable and unplugged the power from the PVR and left it for 15 min's.  Then I screwed the coaxial cable back in and plugged the power cord back in.  So far so good, fingers crossed.  

Could someone let me know just what happens with this procedure that enables to get the PVR working again?  Thanks a bunch!  

0 Kudos

Meant to add that I didn't dare unscrew the coaxial cable...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Meant to add that I didn't dare unscrew the coaxial cable at the other end because there IS a splitter on the line for my internet connection and I feared frigging up my internet connection 😉  

0 Kudos

Three calls into Shaw Technical support....24 hours later...

Georgeandluella
Grasshopper

Three calls into Shaw Technical support....24 hours later....plugged and unplugged several times...removed power bar...still not working.  TV is there guide and recordings are gone.  Very frustrated....very unhappy.  

0 Kudos

> TV is there guide and recordings are gone.  After recon...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> TV is there guide and recordings are gone. 

After reconnecting the AC power, it is my experience that it seems to take up to 60 minutes to fully re-populate the Guide. For me, the recordings are available within a few minutes after power-on.

Over the telephone, a Shaw technician can remotely access your device, and check for a power "brown-out"  condition, and can check signal-strength.

0 Kudos

Generally that has also been my experience also. Not thi...

Georgeandluella
Grasshopper

Generally that has also been my experience also.  Not this time.  It has been 24 hours since the first reset and it hasn’t repopulated.  Eventually ‘h u n t’ displays.   I left it overnight.  I have just switched out my coaxial cable to see if that makes a difference.  A technician from yesterday has promised to call me back Today.  It will be a couple of hours before he comes on shift.  The really odd thing is it’s the same on both PVRs.  I have two total. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help