PVR box powers out after about 2 hours

Ppaatt
Grasshopper

One of our new Rogers/Shaw PVR boxes decides to turn itself off after a little under 2 hours of watching (sports usually. Sportsnet 4K channel). Why would that be? I've adjusted some connections, but that makes little sense because everything was working just fine for quite some time before that. Settings also seem fine. Shouldn't be any issues for hours yet. Screen goes blank then TV sends a message that it has no input.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Strange. By default, the power saver is on and will prese...

rstra
Grand Master

@Ppaatt Strange. By default, the power saver is on and will present a screen message after 4 hours, so this shouldn’t be the problem, but maybe try turning that off. Also, set your screen saver to 5 hours.

0 Kudos

Shaw/Rogers says I need a pod (wifi booster) for that are...

Ppaatt
Grasshopper

Shaw/Rogers says I need a pod (wifi booster) for that area of the house. $10 a month. Maybe the 4K is too much for our system as is. I went for it. Let's hope they're right.

0 Kudos

Weak wifi wouldn’t cause the box to shut down, you would...

rstra
Grand Master

@Ppaatt  Weak wifi wouldn’t cause the box to shut down, you would get a connection issue message on the screen. You can always return the pod. You could swap the box with the one that is not shutting down, to see if it is a hardware issue.

Good point. We'll see what happens.

Ppaatt
Grasshopper

Good point. We'll see what happens.

0 Kudos

And apparently you can hardwire the digital boxes into th...

Ppaatt
Grasshopper

And apparently you can hardwire the digital boxes into these pods, which is a more reliable way to go, so I'll give it a try for a bit - even though rstra's point is totally valid.

0 Kudos

Yeah, i have seen that happening. I have the news channel...

michaelstein
Grasshopper

Yeah, i have seen that happening. I have the news channel left on for hours and usually after 5 hours or so it will automatically go to the

screen saver if i am not sitting in the front of the screen. It is just on for background noise.

0 Kudos

wrote:  usually after 5 hours or so it will automatically...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@michaelstein wrote:  usually after 5 hours or so it will automatically go to the screen saver if i am not sitting in the front of the screen

It probably does the same even when you are not sitting in front of the screen.

Call it a "feechur" of the Shaw TV box.  😞

Can you "stream" an audio channel, such as Fox News, through your computer, if all you want is audio noise?

0 Kudos

It doesn't go to screen saver. It turns off.

Ppaatt
Grasshopper

It doesn't go to screen saver. It turns off.

0 Kudos

Pod arrived and it won't connect. Will phone tomorrow to...

Ppaatt
Grasshopper

Pod arrived and it won't connect. Will phone tomorrow to return it. One thing I learned from this is about the home connect app and it says the signal is strong where I'm having trouble So that's more proof signal isn't the issue. Yes, swap boxes next.

0 Kudos