Jump to solution

Recorded shows not playing in 5.1 surround

juno909
Grasshopper

I recently switched to the wireless 4k BlueCurve boxes and have a weird issue. Whenever I watch a recorded show the audio is playing in stereo 2.0, when the live feed was 5.1 surround. If I watch that same show live, it plays correctly in 5.1 surround. I can literally watch a show live in 5.1...hit record on my remote...wait a few minutes to record some of the show, then switch to the recorded show and the center channel and surround speakers go out and all my sound is from the left and right speaker. Netflix, Live tv, Demand all play in 5.1, it's only recorded shows. I've switched out my boxes and same issue. Shaw is telling me it's my Onkyo receiver...however everything else works fine, it's only recorded shows from my shaw box. I've gone through all the settings and can't find anything. I've tried switching the Audio setting from Dolby digital to Expert and recorded a new show but same issue. Anyone else experience this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Hi All, About two days ago it looks like Shaw fixed this...

zzzman
Grasshopper

Hi All,

About two days ago it looks like Shaw fixed this issue as any new cloud PVR recordings are now in 5.1.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Jump to solution

My audio system is somewhat different than yours but I am...

srglassw
Grasshopper

My audio system is somewhat different than yours but I am not experiencing the issue with playing back recorded programming. I am getting the same playback audio from all speakers as I get from the live broadcast.

I have a Sony KD-60X690E TV getting HDMI feed from Shaw Xi6 4K BlueCurve TV Player. I am taking optical audio from the Sony TV to an adapter and feeding stereo audio to an older Panasonic SC-HT740 Home Theater Sound System. I'm unclear on just how 5.1 channel surround audio is generated from the stereo input but I gather that the Dolby Pro Logic feature of the home theater decodes the surround sound tracks that are encoded into the stereo tracks. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have the same issue, extremely frustrating!  Audio is a...

AHA1
Grasshopper

I have the same issue, extremely frustrating!  Audio is as or more important than the picture.  I found that if I delete recording and and also delete recently deleted I can plan on demand in 5.1.  If not deleted it will play your recording.  Not perfect but a work around.  I never had this issue before switching to the 4k wifi system.  It has to be a technical glitch with Shaw.

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem using a brand new Sony re...

Bkroeker
Grasshopper

I have exactly the same problem using a brand new Sony receiver. I question Shaw's answer. Like you I can play a show live, Netflix or on demand and it works fine. If I record what I'm watching and play it back it drops to stereo. I don't see how the receiver can know where the difference of where the Shaw box is getting its source from. To the receiver it's just a stream from the same source. Unless maybe Shaw is changing the Dolby coding when it copies to the cloud. I guess I could try plugging the Shaw box into the TV then back to the receiver from the TV. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Same issue here, any recorded show is in stereo not 5.1....

chevyb
Grasshopper

Same issue here, any recorded show is in stereo not 5.1. It has to be the way it’s coming back from the cloud storage. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem with my Yamaha receiver....

zzzman
Grasshopper

I have exactly the same problem with my Yamaha receiver.  I called Shaw and they had no idea why it was happening.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi All, About two days ago it looks like Shaw fixed this...

zzzman
Grasshopper

Hi All,

About two days ago it looks like Shaw fixed this issue as any new cloud PVR recordings are now in 5.1.

Jump to solution

As of today this is now broken again as all cloud PVR rec...

zzzman
Grasshopper

As of today this is now broken again as all cloud PVR recordings play in stereo instead of 5.1.  Very disappointing Shaw, please get your act together.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have the same problem with only shows that I recorded....

jbond
Grasshopper

I have the same problem with only shows that I recorded. Watched a movie yesterday that I saved and it was stereo on (not 5.1). Stopped the show and went Crave and the show was 5.1. This is so frustrating!! Not sure What the difference is between the cloud and crave, but shaw needs to stop messing with this.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Could be the codec is not supported on your receiver. Unf...

rstra
Grand Master

Could be the codec is not supported on your receiver. Unfortunately, our area doesn’t have cloud pvr so I can’t test it.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help