Replay Recording fail

Bruce_Woytuik
Grasshopper

When viewing a recorded program the program will sometimes freeze. Sometimes I get a warning that there is a problem with the recording and it will ask to re-record. Sometimes the recording will jump several minutes ahead. What is particularly frustrating is that the box will completely lock up and I will have to do a hard reset (power it off) to get it to come back.

I have also observed that the live TV works quite well only rarely giving pixilation. Recorded TV programs seem to have pixilation problems frequently.

Is anyone else seeing these problems?

Labels (1)
5 Replies

Are you recording programs to the Shaw Cloud, or to the d...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Are you recording programs to the Shaw Cloud, or to the disk-drive inside the BlueCurve?

If the former, then blame a temporary interruption in your Internet connection to Shaw's cloud-server.

If the latter, then it's possible that the disk-drive inside the BlueCurve is having problems writing/reading.

Does the BlueCurve give you the option of logging-in to its web-server, and then to view the "health" of the disk-drive? Maybe, Shaw Support can remotely login to it, and check that "health".

0 Kudos

The programs are being recorded to the Shaw Cloud. I do b...

Bruce_Woytuik
Grasshopper

The programs are being recorded to the Shaw Cloud.

I do believe it is a server problem as the remote (which talks to the server) transmits but gets no response to the commands.

Very unimpressed and would rather the programs record to the hard drive.

0 Kudos

> the remote (which talks to the server) If you mean that...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> the remote (which talks to the server)

If you mean that your remote-control is talking to Shaw's cloud-server, that must be some STRONG infrared signal, pointed in exactly the correct direction, to talk to a server that is many kilometers away.  🙂

Strong-enough to heat your coffee?  🙂

Your remote-control "talks" across your home-theatre room, such as to change the TV's volume.

Your set-top TV box communicates over Shaw Internet to interact with the cloud-server.

Have you tried changing the batteries inside your remote-control?  Or, getting a replacement remote-control from Shaw -- one button on my remote-control must be FORCEFULLY depressed to send anything.

How often would you say that you're encountering this pro...

shaw-valerie

@Bruce_Woytuik How often would you say that you're encountering this problem? Is there any relation between the troubled recordings, like when you encounter this is it all programs from a specific channel, or multiple recordings that took place on the same day? If you re-play the recording after the crash, does the issue happen again at the same location in the recording? 

Do you have multiple BlueCurve TV boxes in your home? If so, does viewing the recording on another box produce the same error at the same timestamp? What about if you view the recording in the BlueCurve TV app on your mobile device or online

0 Kudos

I encounter the problem almost on a daily basis. It occur...

Bruce_Woytuik
Grasshopper

I encounter the problem almost on a daily basis. It occurs on different channels and sometimes there are multiple recordings on the same day. Almost always after the crash and box restart if I replay the recording it will crash again at the same place. Occasionally it will play properly from the replay point. There is only one box in the house and I haven't tried it online and have no mobile device.

Another thing that happens frequently is that when the replay kicks out and goes back to Live TV a dark opaque bar appears either at the top or bottom of the TV screen. It appears to be the same size as the message box at the top of the screen and the same size at the bottom as the display you get  pressing Last or Shaw.

I did notice something today. While replaying a show it froze about half way through. I just waited a few minutes, the screen blanked, then a minute or 2 later the recording time line showed up at 37:xx then it jumped to45:xx and started playing. I rewound it back to 37:xx pressed play and away it went and played to completion.

This is becoming very frustrating.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help