wrote: we are being pressured as well to start a new plan...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Alja1960 wrote: we are being pressured as well to start a new plan with and have received numerous calls and emails to change before our plan comes to an end.

Yes, Shaw (before the Rogers take-over) called me about 5 months before my then-current two-year Value Plan ended, to get me to start a new two-year Value Plan.  I bargained, and got the remaining 5 months at the original price, and only a $5/month increase on the new plan. I did not change my cable-modem nor my PVR.

The service then apparently will require a new box!!!!

My experience, pre-Rogers take-over, did not have such a requirement.

Our questions of not wanting anything to do with 5G are kind of avoided and on continued pressure finally a yes.

Within this forum, @rstra has indicated that future customers (maybe in brand-new homes) may get the new cable-modem that communicates via Rogers 5G cellular, not via coaxial-cable. There are doubts whether Rogers 5G Internet will be as fast as the current cable-modems (up to 1.5 Gbit/second for residential customers, and up to 2 Gbit/second for business customers).  So, if you currently have coaxial cable service, it seems unlikely that Rogers, in the next few years, will force you to switch to 5G service.

Is there any other service that anyone is aware off that will provide decent access to Wi-Fi for internet and streaming?

Note that "streaming" is a service delivered through your Internet connection into the devices within your home, or delivered wirelessly through your cell-phone provider, no matter the physical location of your cell-phone.

Yes, switch to Telus, and get ultra-fast (and expensive) fiber-optic cable into your home, including WiFi coverage within your home.

Note that the Rogers cellular service is already "bathing" your home with its 5G signals, even if you don't have the latest Rogers hardware that uses 5G to bring Internet into your home. So, unless you live in a rural area where Rogers cellular service is non-existent, 5G is currently reaching into your home. For better or for worse.

0 Kudos

I'm actually in a 2 year contract/plan with Shaw/Rogers s...

CoffeeLover
Grasshopper

I'm actually in a 2 year contract/plan with Shaw/Rogers so I wouldn't have that option.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help