Rogers has shut off service for older tv boxes

SBennett
Grasshopper

I have 2 older tv's that are not able to connect to an HDMI cable. Rogers solution to me is for me to buy new tv's so that they can upgrade me. My tv's work fine and I have no intention of buying new tv's.  I know I can't be the only Rogers customer with older tv's that has had this happen. I am not anti-technology. I just want the service I am paying for. 

Labels (2)
11 Replies

Hopefully you are no longer paying for the service. You c...

rstra
Grand Master

@SBennett  Hopefully you are no longer paying for the service. You can ask Rogers if they still have the XG1v4 and Xid boxes available as they have cable out option (I doubt it). But really, it would look god awful, and the guides would probably be really hard to see.

0 Kudos

I did recently switch to the wireless but don't like the...

CoffeeLover
Grasshopper
  • I did recently switch to the wireless but don't like the wireless cable boxes so I've been trying to have Shaw/Rogers reactivate (add back onto my account) the XG1v4 4K wired tv player I still haven't recycled but they won't add it back onto my account & reactivate it...it seems customers aren't being allowed choices in terms of cable equipment we want to use...I feel we should be allowed a choice.

I believe that Rogers wants to move to a 100 percent self...

rstra
Grand Master

@CoffeeLover  I believe that Rogers wants to move to a 100 percent self install service. Eventually we will see more 5G modems that won’t even require a line to the home. 

wrote: I feel we should be allowed a choice. Do you have...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CoffeeLover wrote: I feel we should be allowed a choice.

Do you have the option to switch to Telus and connect their modem to their fiber-optic cable, instead of the Shaw/Rogers coaxial-cable? Telus provides the box that communicates between your TV and their modem.

-- for $8, purchase a cable that converts HDMI to the 3 R...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SBennett -- for $8, purchase a cable that converts HDMI to the 3 RCA "post-and-collar" (red/white/yellow) connectors that your older TV will accept.

See: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/1-5m-hdmi-male-to-3-rca-adapter-cable-rgb-male-av-video-audio-c...

QED

we are being pressured as well to start a new plan with a...

Alja1960
Grasshopper

we are being pressured as well to start a new plan with and have received numerous calls and emails to change before our plan comes to an end. The service then apparently will require a new box!!!! and our questions of not wanting anything to do with 5G are kind of avoided and on continued pressure finally a yes. We just want to keep our existing service, which is fine, but are kind of told that that is not possible. Is there any other service that anyone is aware off that will provide decent access to Wi-Fi for internet and streaming? 

0 Kudos

I have also heard that Rogers is requiring customers on l...

rstra
Grand Master

@Alja1960  I have also heard that Rogers is requiring customers on legacy equipment to take the new wireless boxes when they sign a new contract. I am ok with this, actually, if the app allowed us to set recording I would just use that on my FireStick.

0 Kudos

You can rig up a HDMI CONVERTER to either the old school...

egarageca
Grasshopper

You can rig up a HDMI CONVERTER to either the old school Coax threaded input, or if your tv has Video in RCA (banana plug) jacks it's even easier. I have done it to by-pass having to constantly change my input source on a Hotel model TV that I purchased for cheap cheap. 

0 Kudos

Where in Canada are you?

egarageca
Grasshopper

Where in Canada are you?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help