Streaming local channels

wynford
Grasshopper

If I cancel my TV completely and just stream everything through internet, will I still be able to stream the local channels... CTV, CityTV and Global... or do i need a TV package?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

-- will you be accessing those TV-stations' web-sites: w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- will you be accessing those TV-stations' web-sites:

Do they demand that you logon, with your Shaw E-mail ID, to stream their content? (Sportsnet does have this requirement.)

Try the above, before you "cut the cord".

Or, are you located physically close to a city (such as Vancouver) that has those stations broadcasting (unscrambled, and in HD) "over the air"? Then, buy an external TV antenna, connect it to your TV, and use the tuner in your TV to select these channels. This is nicknamed "peasant-TV".  🙂

0 Kudos

I live in Winnipeg, and those channels require you to cre...

wynford
Grasshopper

I live in Winnipeg, and those channels require you to create an account, pick your provider and login and enter a code to gain access, you only have to do this once.

I'm only asking because my son-in-law thinks you need a TV package in order to stream these channels, if that's true, then what's the point in streaming local TV.

0 Kudos

Hi  , I believe the reason is so that if your not home yo...

g-idk
Master

Hi @wynford , I believe the reason is so that if your not home you can access the content or live stream that you subscribe to.  Such as riding on the bus or train or maybe out in the park that sort of idea.  Another could be that maybe your tv's are occupied already with someone else watching them and you want to watch something else, you can pick up your device or laptop/computer and watch the channel or content you want that you have subscriptions for.  Just a heads up but ctv.ca has quite a bit of free content on there not requiring any type of subscription.  Hope this helps.  Stay Safe.  

0 Kudos

So what you are saying is that I DO need to subscribe to...

wynford
Grasshopper

So what you are saying is that I DO need to subscribe to a TV package to stream those channels?

0 Kudos

Hi again , if you want to access full content from those...

g-idk
Master

Hi again @wynford , if you want to access full content from those channels, or live stream them,  then my answer would be Yes!  Each of those channels websites may still offer you though without subscription a limited amount of content such as ctv.ca   . so again it is a Yes if you want to access full content and live stream.  Maybe check out those websites and see what free content if any might be available to you.  They might also offer the newscast for free live streaming.  Don't cut the cord just yet until you find something that will work for your needs.  

P.S.  Did you not ask this exact same question on 2020/07/11, 

streaming tv - Shaw Support

0 Kudos

OK, thanks for the info

wynford
Grasshopper

OK, thanks for the info

0 Kudos

-- So what you are saying is that I DO need to subscribe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- So what you are saying is that I DO need to subscribe to a TV package to stream those channels?

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question. CTV and CBC seem to be more "open" than other networks.

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help