Likely not. This was alway a problem with the PVR’s. Each...

rickatk
Master

@raptisf003 wrote:

Hello,

I was recently in contact with Shaw support to resolve an issue with my TV service and was told that our gateway (the large box in my basement) needed to be replaced. I was also told however that all my recordings would be lost as a result. Is there any way for me to transfer the recordings from my gateway somewhere safe so that I can still have them when the new gateway comes? I do not want to lose these recordings so if you know of any way to keep them please reply with a suggestion.

Thanks

Likely not. This was alway a problem with the PVR’s. Each time their was a change in gear, whatever shows were recorded had to be watched or lost. In my experience, hardware failure resulted in lost recordings on more that one occasion. Shaw’s new cloud PVR is the solution, to get around the disappointment. It’s a great concept, using the cloud to store recorded shows. To me that makes more sense than storing recordings locally. 

Sooo unfortunately, your shows will be lost. Hopefully your replacement will allow you to utilize the Cloud PVR feature. It works very well.

0 Kudos

I always found it amazing what people had saved to their...

rstra
Grand Master

I always found it amazing what people had saved to their PVRs that they couldn’t lose, it was always a difficult conversation.

0 Kudos

My Gateway has died for the second time in one year, each...

robbob
Grasshopper

My Gateway has died for the second time in one year, each time losing 1.5 TB of recordings.  My external drive is an Enterprise grade drive that is rock solid.  Why does Shaw/Arris insist on using flaky consumer grade hard drives in their equipment?  Since it is a hard drive issue, would it be possible for me to just open up the Gateway and replace the drive with a proper Enterprise Grade drive on my own?  I know Shaw is pushing their new Blue Curve system now with "cloud" storage for the PVR.  My sister just switched to it and hates it.  You can only have your program backed up by 15 minutes and there are lots of glitches.  If I can't get a Gateway with a reliable hard drive, I will have to look for a more reliable service.  I've been Shaw customer for 40 years.

0 Kudos

OK, so after a CHAT with Shaw, it looks like it may have...

robbob
Grasshopper

OK, so after a CHAT with Shaw, it looks like it may have been an issue with loose coax connections at the splitter.  After tightening all the connections, things seem to be working again and all my recorded shows are back again.  I will monitor the performance to be sure there are no other problems.

0 Kudos

Your enterprise grade hard drive is only as good as the f...

rstra
Grand Master

Your enterprise grade hard drive is only as good as the flaky external sata enclosure. 

Shaw isn’t sourcing new gateways and the units in circulation are used and getting old, a switch to BlueCurve or to another provider will be inevitable. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help