TSN 4K blocking content?

SixWeeks
Grasshopper

For about a year I have watched continuous content on the TSN-4K channel.  Even though it was not pure 4K content, it's far better than the regular HD content from TSN1-5 on my 85-inch Sony.  Now when there is not a scheduled 4K event, the channel is blocked, and all I see is a Shaw notice that "there is no scheduled event at this time".  Can someone give me a reason why programming is being blocked when a non-4K event is on the air?  When there are only 3 4K channels, losing 33% of the total is frustrating.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

-- Shaw and the NHL have a contract to block "out-of-mark...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SixWeeks -- Shaw and the NHL have a contract to block "out-of-market" games, e.g., a Calgary-Edmonton game during a non-4K broadcast of a Vancouver game, if you live in the Greater Vancouver area.

So, where do you live, and which broadcast was blocked?

It's also possible that some NHL arenas do not have 4K-capable cameras installed.

0 Kudos

I understand that some content is blocked, but I only rec...

SixWeeks
Grasshopper

I understand that some content is blocked, but I only receive the one or two scheduled TSN "events" per week.  I used to receive programming 24/7 on the TSN-4K channel.  Sportsnet manages to keep something on their two 4K channels continuously.  Something has changed recently and TSN or Shaw aren't being open with any answers.

4K channels will only show content when there is a 4K bro...

rstra
Grand Master

@SixWeeks   4K channels will only show content when there is a 4K broadcast.

0 Kudos

I've been receiving content 24/7 on TSN 4K for almost a y...

SixWeeks
Grasshopper

I've been receiving content 24/7 on TSN 4K for almost a year.  When a 4K broadcast was not scheduled, there was always content from other TSN channels.  It may have been upscaled HD, since the picture was much better than the HD I receive on TSN 1-5.  TSN has lots of content which could be broadcast on the 4K channel, much like Sportsnet does with the two 4K channels they have.  Just trying to understand why TSN 4K changed a few weeks ago. 

TSN doesn't even have the World Cup in 4K. Biggest joke o...

Mitesh89
Grasshopper

TSN doesn't even have the World Cup in 4K.

Biggest joke of a network.

0 Kudos

I noticed the same issue. Previously I could watch the T...

Tangroo
Grasshopper

I noticed the same issue. Previously I could watch the TSN 4K channel, even if it wasn't specifically a 4K broadcast. The broadcast was technically "just HD" and not 4K, but it was still better quality than watching the TSN HD channel. I assume that the 4K channel is less compressed than the HD channels, so the overall quality was better even if the broadcast was HD and not 4K.

Now the channel displays a Shaw message most of the time, unless a 4K broadcast is happening. I can still watch the Sportsnet and Sportsnet One 4K channels anytime, and the HD broadcasts are noticeably better on the 4K channels. Now if Sportsnet would create some actual 4K content....

0 Kudos

Why are the ends of the IIHF games not being shown on TSN...

PAKauppi
Grasshopper

Why are the ends of the IIHF games not being shown on TSN 4K? I'm trying to watch the games only to have the No scheduled programming message show up. I don't want to pay to watch partial games in 4K.

0 Kudos

Coincidence that service levels drop when 2 of 4 service...

Ktimmer
Grasshopper

Coincidence that service levels drop when 2 of 4 service providers are allowed to merge. I think not. 

0 Kudos

-- Coincidence, but correlation does not imply causality.

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ktimmer -- Coincidence, but correlation does not imply causality.  

0 Kudos