Upgrade means loosing all recordings on PVR plus the PVR

Aprilshowers38
Grasshopper

UPGRADE TO 4K WIRELESS TV PLAYER MAKES PVRS USELESS & ALL RECORED PROGRAMS LOST!!
I just renewed my Shaw tv contract. That’s all I wanted to do was get a better deal and I did. What I was not told or explained to in any way is that I would be receiving all this new equipment and that my PVR’s plus all the recorded programs would be garbage. The customer service is gone down hill after 35 years as a customer I was disappointed in trying to get any proper help and after two hours chatting I still didn’t get anything resolved. They can sell you new contracts but in order to get your cable back and even play your programs you recorded in a device you bought, and somehow they prevent from operating, well you have to call their billing department to get it all fixed again. So it’s a Friday night and my family has no media entertainment. 
MY POINT:  

BE AWARE THAT TO upgrade to Shaw 4K TV  PLAYER you can’t use your PVR at all anymore and or recover your recorded programs unless you down grade again. 

Labels (1)
10 Replies

yes, new equipment means recordings on non cloud PVRs are...

rstra
Grand Master

@Aprilshowers38  yes, new equipment means recordings on non cloud PVRs are gone. Since you own the old equipment and is not BlueCurve, you are out of luck. 

-- in  order to get your cable back and even play your pr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Aprilshowers38 -- in  order to get your cable back and even play your programs you recorded in a device you bought

I bought my first HDPVR many years ago. It's been "retired", but Shaw discounts the "rental" fee on its replacement.

There is no technical reason for Shaw to NOT offer support for both the "legacy" PVRs and the BlueCurve PVRs on the one coaxial-cable running from the telephone-pole into your home. Think of a case where your mother-in-law suite still has the "legacy" system, while you have the BlueCurve system on your main floor. 

What Shaw demands is two separate accounts -- one per PVR. 

In your case, regress to the legacy system & hardware, and downgrade to "Skinny TV", to minimize your monthly cable-TV bill (around $30/month). Remove Shaw Home Phone & Shaw Internet from your legacy account. Watch your recorded programs from your old PVR. Open a second account for the BlueCurve PVR . Add Shaw TV, and Shaw Home Phone services to this account. It's none of Shaw's business "where" in your home that the two PVRs are physically located.

0 Kudos

I knew that all PVR recordings would be lost, but I did n...

Richard819
Grasshopper

I knew that all PVR recordings would be lost, but I did not know if I change channels, and then change back again, I would no longer be able to back up the video.  This is something that I routinely did with the old system.  This change essentially renders the PVR useless.  I asked for my old equipment back, but that was a no go, likewise there is no workaround for this.  No I'm stuck with equipment with reduced functionality at a higher price.  If I had to choose between 4K and a proper PVR I would choose the PVR.  Trapped with this for 2 years, I will have time to seek out a different provided that can give me what I want. I've been with Shaw for may 18 years or more, but I don't like getting taken for granted. 

0 Kudos

That is a popular feature. Just a heads up, depending on...

rstra
Grand Master

@Richard819  That is a popular feature. Just a heads up, depending on where you are located, Telus doesn’t offer that feature, not sure about Bell.

0 Kudos

-- I did not know if I change channels, and then change...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Richard819 --   I did not know if I change channels, and then change back again, I would no longer be able to back up the video.

The bypass is to touch "record" before you change channels, then change to the second channel, then touch "record", and then change back to the first channel. Since both channels are now being recorded, you can flip-flop and "rewind"/"back 15 seconds" on both recordings.

> Trapped with this for 2 years, 

Several times, Telus has offered me a "buy-out", namely $20/month in "Telus Credit", for each of the remaining months on my two-year Value Plan, if I were to switch from Shaw to Telus, and pay to Shaw the $20/month "cancellation fee" to Shaw, rather than the full monthly cost. Thus, you are not "trapped" at all -- pay $20/month to Shaw, and get $20/month from Telus.

I don't know if Telus still makes this offer.

>  I asked for my old equipment back, but that was a no go, likewise there is no workaround for this.

You said that you "owned" the old equipment. If that is correct, do you still have it?  If so, then read what I previously wrote, about having two Shaw Accounts, connecting your equipment to the second account.

0 Kudos

Was just forced to upgrade our satellite receiver boxes d...

Joan25
Grasshopper

Was just forced to upgrade our satellite receiver boxes due to system upgrades (would no longer be able to access some channels without the upgrade).  Now forced to pay a monthly rental fee (not required previously).  Was also reassured during a phone conversation that all our PVR shows would transfer over to the new PVR box - I specifically asked this during my call with the representative.  This is NOT the case.  After setting up the new box, we found all the previous PVR shows are gone.  Apparently it is acceptable to Rogers/Shaw for representatives to lie to customers.  Today I am now told that we can disconnect the new box and reconnect the old box any time we want to watch the PVR shows!!! I'm now looking into an alternative provider. 

0 Kudos

-- Today I am now told that we can disconnect the new box...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Joan25 -- Today I am now told that we can disconnect the new box and reconnect the old box any time we want to watch the PVR shows!!! 

Please read the previous posts in this discussion thread.  Before the Rogers/Shaw merger, it was possible to have two accounts -- one for your old PVR device, and one for the new BlueCurve box. If your TV has 2 HDMI-input sockets, then "split" the incoming coaxial-cable, to feed both devices. Run one HDMI cable into HDMI#1 and another HDMI cable into HDMI#2.  Then, use the "input/source" button to flip-flop between #1 and #2.

However, this depends on Shaw allowing you to "activate" your old PVR -- Shaw tends to NOT allow older equipment to be moved to a different account, or to be "activated".

It would be wonderful if reconnecting the old device will work, but I doubt it, and have not tried it.

0 Kudos

[quote] There is no technical reason for Shaw to NOT offe...

michaelstein
Grasshopper

[quote] There is no technical reason for Shaw to NOT offer support for both the "legacy" PVRs and the BlueCurve PVRs on the one coaxial-cable running from the telephone-pole into your home. [/quote]

They could be phasing out this sort of channel delivery method going forward through those Motorolla boxes.

To free up additional bandwidth

The DCX-3510 is from 2012 although it was still receiving updates as of August 2022 afaik

and the DCX3400 is form 2009 or 2010 and DCT700 is from 2007 or 2008

It is a slow process but most of the legacy equipment is being retired.  ie.  Motorolla boxes.

0 Kudos

-- It is a slow process, but most of the legacy equipment...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@michaelstein -- It is a slow process, but most of the legacy equipment is being retired. ie. Motorolla [sic] boxes.

Are there any legacy boxes that are not being scheduled for retirement, including any boxes that Shaw has not officially notified its customers? Answering that may require "insider" information.  🙂

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help