Why are some PPVs $25???

bmichaelb
Grasshopper

I saw that 'Nope' was available for rent, but then saw it was $25. That's insane. Regular prices in Vancouver are $16.99, and that covers the theater's expenses, as well as the staff's wages. Viewing at home doesn't include doorman, janitors, or the theater's cost for electricity. On top of that, I'm disabled, so I don't go out very often, let alone a movie theater. I've read in another post from 2020 that it covers multiple viewers, ie: a family of 4. But I live alone, and view it alone. Why should I pay so much for a single viewer? This is insane.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

I forgot to mention the cost for a ticket in the theater...

bmichaelb
Grasshopper

I forgot to mention the cost for a ticket in the theater also includes the cost of rent for the building. Viewing at home doesn't require any of that. Shaw should make exceptions for people who live on their own. I'm in a bachelor suite... obviously I'm not a family of 4. That $25 for a movie should be more like $10 for a single viewer.

0 Kudos

Shaw, and other providers also have their own expenses, n...

rstra
Grand Master

@bmichaelb Shaw, and other providers also have their own expenses, not to mention the negotiated licensing and royalties paid to the owners of content. I am not sure if simultaneous in-home and theatrical releases are here to stay, probably a shortened theatrical release before video on demand. It is expensive, but we do have the option of waiting until the price drops to $6.99 or free.

TALK TO US
We're here to help