Why is ABC KOMO Seattle channel playing CityTV

Fxlarryw65
Grasshopper

I’m in Vancouver and went to watch Wheel and Jeopardy starting at 7pm on ABC Komo Seattle on Shaw channel 111 and instead it’s showing Family Feud from CityTV.  What gives?  I even went to the actual CityTV channel 103 in the hope the channels got swapped, but no luck. It is showing CityTV as shown on guide.  Hope someone at Shaw/Rogers is paying attention and fixes the correct broadcast for ABC Seattle. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

-- the CRTC (Canadian Radio Television Commission) allows...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Fxlarryw65 -- the CRTC (Canadian Radio Television Commission) allows Canadian TV stations to substitute their channel (and their commercials) when they are broadcasting the same program at the same time as any USA-based TV station, such as KOMO (Seattle).

For example, when you watch the NFL Superbowl, you don't get to see the full half-time show, because Canadian commercials (and talking-head sportcasters) are replacing that entertainment.

0 Kudos

@Sorry I know about that but not in the situation I descr...

Fxlarryw65
Grasshopper

@mdk @Sorry I know about that but not in the situation I described. CityTV was showing their news & programming that were not the same programs that was listed on the Guide for ABC Seattle at the same time slot. 

Good news is later in the evening the issue was fixed and we were getting the correct ABC programming shown on the guide. 

0 Kudos

--   later in the evening the issue was fixed  Yes, the "...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Fxlarryw65 --   later in the evening the issue was fixed 

Yes, the "replacement" normally occurs on a show-by-show basis, not for a full evening.  However, never discard the possibility that some Shaw employee messed-up.  🙂

Note that TV channels can change their programming, and not inform the third-party company that supplies the "Guide" information to Shaw. So, Shaw may have been using "stale" information to decide to replace KOMO's feed by a Canadian feed.

Do you subscribe to Shaw's "time-shift" package? If so, you could watch Jeopardy 3 hours earlier, via a feed from some ABC station in the Eastern time-zone.  Watch the earlier broadcast, and remember the contestants' questions, to amaze your room-mates by knowing all the questions when re-watching it later in the day.  🙂

Has your issue reoccurred, or was it a one-time problem?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help