Wireless 4K BlueCurve TV Box - change network wifi

Kenniverse
Grasshopper

I've recently installed a wifi mesh network in my home.  It's taking the wifi signal from my Shaw modem and spreading it evenly throughout my house.    The issue is I have 2 TVs/TV boxes in the home, both connected to the Shaw modem via wifi but one TV is in an area of the house where the Shaw modem's wifi is the poorest signal.  I was hoping to connect this 4K BlueCurve TV Box to the mesh network because it offers a stronger signal.

The issue is, the network settings in the 4K BlueCurve TV Box are greyed out.  This can't be changed?

I found this answer below.  It's basically what I'm trying to do BUT it doesn't say it's impossible. :). So, anyway to change those network settings so it reads my mesh network instead?

Can I connect the 4K wireless box to my WiFi range extender?

We recommend connecting the 4K wireless box directly to your BlueCurve Gateway for the best viewing experience. We cannot guarantee that the 4K wireless box will work properly over WiFi range extenders.

Labels (1)
3 Replies

The wireless network information cannot be manually confi...

shaw-valerie

@Kenniverse The wireless network information cannot be manually configured on the BlueCurve TV boxes, they will just automatically connect to the SSID for the BlueCurve gateway. 

0 Kudos

Shaw advises non BlueCurve network expanders are not supp...

rickatk
Master

@Kenniverse wrote:

I've recently installed a wifi mesh network in my home.  It's taking the wifi signal from my Shaw modem and spreading it evenly throughout my house.    The issue is I have 2 TVs/TV boxes in the home, both connected to the Shaw modem via wifi but one TV is in an area of the house where the Shaw modem's wifi is the poorest signal.  I was hoping to connect this 4K BlueCurve TV Box to the mesh network because it offers a stronger signal.

The issue is, the network settings in the 4K BlueCurve TV Box are greyed out.  This can't be changed?

I found this answer below.  It's basically what I'm trying to do BUT it doesn't say it's impossible. :). So, anyway to change those network settings so it reads my mesh network instead?

Can I connect the 4K wireless box to my WiFi range extender?

We recommend connecting the 4K wireless box directly to your BlueCurve Gateway for the best viewing experience. We cannot guarantee that the 4K wireless box will work properly over WiFi range extenders.

Shaw advises non BlueCurve network expanders are not supported. You can do more configuring on the router admin page http://10.0.0.1 Be careful though, this is not for the faint at heart.

What I did was create separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and pointed my Xi6 boxes to the 2.4 GHz band, or to be more precise, they did. This will ensure you get the band with the furthest range. The solution seemed to work quite well but for one box which I have since learned has a software problem. I will be exchanging tomorrow. Another thing I did was not only create distinct names but distinct passwords. Apparently the latter is very important.

I tried balancing all my wifi gear amongst the two bands but decided best to let the Shaw gear do its job. I have since put my network back to dual band and added 3 BlueCurve pods. That seems to have really helped with Xi6 reception. I was advised by the Shaw techs last spring these pods will come in handy when wireless tv boxes come along. That certainly seems to be the case. My system is running along pretty well right now. 

Hags11
Grasshopper

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help