Jump to solution

Wiring for multiple receivers

Not applicable

I currently have one 630 receiver and the oval dish with dual LNBs.   However, I would like to get one more receiver, and at the same time wire a total of 3 additional rooms for future receivers.     I see Shaw suggests the DTV4x8 multiswitch for multiple receiver applications.   It seems to be amplified.

I am confused by the number of inputs to the multi-switch.   It has four inputs.    My dish actually has four F connections, but only two have cables going to them, and the 630 only has inputs for two cables.    Can somebody please explain 2 cables vs 4 cables -- what does each do, and would I need to run 4 RG6 cables from the dish to the multiswitch?  Would I then be running one cable to the 630?

Second question is if I am over complicating this.    Although I would like to run cables to 3 additional bedrooms, I only have plans (at this point) to put one additional receiver.    Can simplify the system (eliminate need of multiswitch) if I only run signal to one additional room?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Wiring for multiple receivers

Shaw Squad

Just a heads up, these forums are intended to be for Shaw Cable/Internet/Phone only, so the moderators will direct you to contact Shaw Direct directly at shawdirect.ca/contactus. 

However, I can provide some high level Satellite support for you in the meantime. The 4 connectors off your dish are for up to 4 lines to run just from your dish without a multiswitch (the answer to your second question is yes). If you added just one more receiver you would be looking to take up another 1 port off your dish directly for a non-PVR, and 2 if you're looking for another PVR. 

To get 3 more lines, as you said, you'll need a multi-switch, which would have all four lines from the dish connecting to it, with 8 lines of potential to the receivers. The PVR (and any future PVRs) would require 2 lines connected to it in order to run dual-tuner.

You do have the option to run one line to a PVR and set "Single Tuner Mode", which would get you the PVR, but you would only be able to record 1 program at a time and would be restricted to watching that recording, another recording, or VOD until the recording completes. 

Hope that helps!

-Katie

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Jump to solution

Re: Wiring for multiple receivers

Shaw Squad

Just a heads up, these forums are intended to be for Shaw Cable/Internet/Phone only, so the moderators will direct you to contact Shaw Direct directly at shawdirect.ca/contactus. 

However, I can provide some high level Satellite support for you in the meantime. The 4 connectors off your dish are for up to 4 lines to run just from your dish without a multiswitch (the answer to your second question is yes). If you added just one more receiver you would be looking to take up another 1 port off your dish directly for a non-PVR, and 2 if you're looking for another PVR. 

To get 3 more lines, as you said, you'll need a multi-switch, which would have all four lines from the dish connecting to it, with 8 lines of potential to the receivers. The PVR (and any future PVRs) would require 2 lines connected to it in order to run dual-tuner.

You do have the option to run one line to a PVR and set "Single Tuner Mode", which would get you the PVR, but you would only be able to record 1 program at a time and would be restricted to watching that recording, another recording, or VOD until the recording completes. 

Hope that helps!

-Katie

View solution in original post

TALK TO US
Need more help?