Jump to solution

Wiring for multiple receivers

Not applicable

I currently have one 630 receiver and the oval dish with dual LNBs.   However, I would like to get one more receiver, and at the same time wire a total of 3 additional rooms for future receivers.     I see Shaw suggests the DTV4x8 multiswitch for multiple receiver applications.   It seems to be amplified.

I am confused by the number of inputs to the multi-switch.   It has four inputs.    My dish actually has four F connections, but only two have cables going to them, and the 630 only has inputs for two cables.    Can somebody please explain 2 cables vs 4 cables -- what does each do, and would I need to run 4 RG6 cables from the dish to the multiswitch?  Would I then be running one cable to the 630?

Second question is if I am over complicating this.    Although I would like to run cables to 3 additional bedrooms, I only have plans (at this point) to put one additional receiver.    Can simplify the system (eliminate need of multiswitch) if I only run signal to one additional room?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Wiring for multiple receivers

katie
Shaw Squad

Just a heads up, these forums are intended to be for Shaw Cable/Internet/Phone only, so the moderators will direct you to contact Shaw Direct directly at shawdirect.ca/contactus. 

However, I can provide some high level Satellite support for you in the meantime. The 4 connectors off your dish are for up to 4 lines to run just from your dish without a multiswitch (the answer to your second question is yes). If you added just one more receiver you would be looking to take up another 1 port off your dish directly for a non-PVR, and 2 if you're looking for another PVR. 

To get 3 more lines, as you said, you'll need a multi-switch, which would have all four lines from the dish connecting to it, with 8 lines of potential to the receivers. The PVR (and any future PVRs) would require 2 lines connected to it in order to run dual-tuner.

You do have the option to run one line to a PVR and set "Single Tuner Mode", which would get you the PVR, but you would only be able to record 1 program at a time and would be restricted to watching that recording, another recording, or VOD until the recording completes. 

Hope that helps!

-Katie

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

Re: Wiring for multiple receivers

katie
Shaw Squad

Just a heads up, these forums are intended to be for Shaw Cable/Internet/Phone only, so the moderators will direct you to contact Shaw Direct directly at shawdirect.ca/contactus. 

However, I can provide some high level Satellite support for you in the meantime. The 4 connectors off your dish are for up to 4 lines to run just from your dish without a multiswitch (the answer to your second question is yes). If you added just one more receiver you would be looking to take up another 1 port off your dish directly for a non-PVR, and 2 if you're looking for another PVR. 

To get 3 more lines, as you said, you'll need a multi-switch, which would have all four lines from the dish connecting to it, with 8 lines of potential to the receivers. The PVR (and any future PVRs) would require 2 lines connected to it in order to run dual-tuner.

You do have the option to run one line to a PVR and set "Single Tuner Mode", which would get you the PVR, but you would only be able to record 1 program at a time and would be restricted to watching that recording, another recording, or VOD until the recording completes. 

Hope that helps!

-Katie

Jump to solution

630 must be a pvr if has 2 inputs sat 1 and sat 2 though...

satguy
Grasshopper

630 must be a pvr if has 2 inputs sat 1 and sat 2 though it can be used with only one cable connected and receiver has to be set under preferences and then tuners and storage,single tuner mode set to enabled..dish end has 4 outputs on lnbf  1 per receiver unless a pvr which requires two only if you want to watch one program while recording another at the same time...multi switch  needs all 4 from the dish outputs on the lnbf to the switch then from there you can have 8 outputs..

Jump to solution

Its recommended all four lines from the dish be connected...

Sft1st
Grasshopper

Its recommended all four lines from the dish be connected to the switch input. It helps the switch perform at optimum level. When adding receivers a switch is recommended to maintain signal strength. You should only connect cable on the output side of the switch if you have a box connected. Shaw allows up to six boxes. If your using a PVR you will need two dedicated connections.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help