Another cost increase... big time.

aj4martin
Grasshopper

I have been paying $159.04 in Winnipeg ( taxes in ) for the last 2 years. I was sent an email today stating that my 2 year contract had now "expired". Same service now $174.00 ( with taxes $194.88 ). A 22% increase. I'm sensing a bit of Covid gouging going on. I've been a Shaw customer for over 25 years, if not more... customer allegiance/loyalty to Shaw no longer seems to matter.  I am quite disappointed as to how a long time "customer" is being treated in these already trying times.

18 Replies

You were on a two year value plan and getting a discount,...

rstra
Grand Master

You were on a two year value plan and getting a discount, now you are on month to month so it will cost more. Contact Shaw and get your value plan renewed.

Hi  sorry to hear your having some issues.  Shaw would ha...

g-idk
Master

Hi @aj4martin sorry to hear your having some issues.  Shaw would have sent you and email a couple of months ago to remind you that your contract is coming due and listed what the current rates were, and telling you to call in or chat to a rep. about renewing your 2 year value plan, this way you can do some haggling and come up with a reasonable offer, most likely with a little higher price.  See the price you paid was set firm for the 2 years and since that time we have had a couple of yearly price increases already.  Now the price quoted to you of $174.00 is that the new month by month or have you now called in and that is the price for a new 2 year value plan?  If the price is a month to month one I highly recommend that you contact Shaw Directly either by Chat (preferred) or by phone and try and work out a new 2 year value plan to get that price down a little bit and lock you back in so to avoid coming price increases.  By the way on your monthly invoice it always tells every month when your 2 year value plan is ending so you don't get a shock like this.  I truly hope everything works out for you, sorry couldn't help more but this is only a peer to peer help forum not an actual channel to Shaw Support.    

Nope, no email until today. Yes, I knew my contract was e...

aj4martin
Grasshopper

Nope, no email until today. Yes, I knew my contract was ending g-idk, but I thought they would renew with an understandably small increase... but 22% was a bit of a shock.

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos

Your Welcome  , here's hoping you can get something more...

g-idk
Master

Your Welcome @aj4martin , here's hoping you can get something more amicable worked out.  That was an error on Shaw's part if they did not send you a reminder email, I received one 4 mos. before my contract ended.   

--  I thought they would renew with an understandably sma...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@aj4martin --  I thought they would renew with an understandably small increase... but 22% was a bit of a shock

Yes, paying month-by-month is more expensive than being on a Value Plan.

The completion of your previous Value Plan ended your two-year protection from price increases during the contract. So, any new Value Plan will start at a higher price, rolling-in those price increases that you avoided.

Or, research a switch to TELUS -- you'll get "introductory pricing" if you sign-up for a THREE year term.  At least, talk to TELUS, and get a firm quote (TELUS seems to discount the first year of a multi-year plan), and then ask Shaw to better that quote. Do you currently have cell-phone service with TELUS, because they can "bundle" TV/Internet/landline/mobile, to save a few $/month. But, it's difficult to beat the pricing of Shaw Mobile service.

This practice has even made the news. Shaw and Telus are...

rickatk
Master

@aj4martin wrote:

Nope, no email until today. Yes, I knew my contract was ending g-idk, but I thought they would renew with an understandably small increase... but 22% was a bit of a shock.

Thanks for your response.

This practice has even made the news. Shaw and Telus are not obligated to tell you your value plan is ending and you can expect a price increase. The plan can expire and just roll over to the higher month to month rate. You need to contact Shaw and renegotiate a new value plan to get a lower rate. BTW there is not much negotiation going on these days. The only leverage you have is signing on to a two year deal. All the companies use a schedule now a days. They simply plug in codes and hopefully they will find a code for you that gives you the best pricing. 

0 Kudos

I got three emails and a phone call prior to my VP expiri...

rstra
Grand Master

I got three emails and a phone call prior to my VP expiring. 

0 Kudos

> Shaw and Telus are not obligated to tell you your value...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Shaw and Telus are not obligated to tell you your value plan is ending 

My monthly Shaw invoice (downloadable via the My Shaw portal) shows the expiry-date of my current Value Plan.

If one does not look, one's omission is not Shaw's fault.

Caveat emptor!

They  offered me a new "value plan" 21% higher than my cu...

upsetuser
Grasshopper

They  offered me a new "value plan" 21% higher than my current one that expires in 3 weeks (for exactly what I'm getting now).

How do they justify 21%? I haven't had a raise in four years.

And ... why should I have to "negotiate" after being a Shaw customer for over 30 years? GIVE ME YOUR BEST PRICE without haggling!!

I was offered $175/month for less (75 internet) than my buddy signed up for (300 internet) 6 months ago ($155/month) . I get medium tv ... he gets blue curve total tv. We both get home phone.

0 Kudos