Deceptive Sales Practices

Grant0100254251
Grasshopper

I’m writing here because I have been unable to get a response through other channels, and I'm currently on a 2-hour hold on the phone.

Recently, I received notice that my Cable + Internet monthly fee was going to jump by about 60% in September, as my 2-year rate guarantee expires. The Consumer Price Index is under 2%, so the increase is gratuitous, especially, during a pandemic, when service revenue is doing rather well.

On August 25th, I called Shaw. Someone named Maria couldn’t help me, so she forwarded me to a second-tier agent in Nova Scotia. This person negotiated to an agreement that was still about an 18% increase, and I received written confirmation of the change. It stated that “Changes to your services will start on Aug 25, 2020,” and it clearly-beaks down the rate of $134/month.

Further, he said that, if I were to move a mobile phone plan to Shaw Mobile, my Cable + Internet Plan rate would go down further. He didn’t specify by how much it would drop, but indicated he couldn’t do the move. I had to go to a Shaw Mobile dealer to effect the change.

We had one phone on a month-to-month plan with Freedom (also Shaw). So, that evening (August 25th), we went to a Shaw Mobile dealer and joined the mobile plan up with the Cable + Internet Plan.

At that point, things got worse. The dealer who made the change said he had no way to even see my Cable + Internet rate, let alone reduce it, due to the further bundling of services. In addition, he said we would be charged a $20 connection fee -- even though the phone was already on the Shaw network.

I called Shaw back on the next day to ask about the mixed message, and was told that there was no way to offer further discounts. I was then forwarded to a Shaw Mobile Agent who was disdainful of my request to drop the Connection Fee, even though both plans are Shaw-run and the network is identical.

I called back to Shaw on August 28th and spoke with someone named Kaidy. She said she could see that the Nova Scotia agent had applied the rate change, but that something had gone wrong. Further, she said she had no way to apply the rates described in the written confirmation I had received from Shaw. Further, she said there was no way to further discount anything because of the mobile phone plan.

So, the Shaw representative I had spoken with on the 25th appears to have used deceptive sales practices to get the renewal, then, bungled the order or just lied outright. Kaidy said she would forward the case to a manager, who would contact me at the mobile phone number I provided her, within 24-48 hours.

No one contacted me. So, in addition to the deception, there is the appearance of arrogance.

If I am to move to another provider, I will need to do it quickly or do a charge-back on the first bill. If someone wants to reach me, they are welcome to follow-up the tickets. This above information will be sent to the CRTC.

*Mod remove account details*

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Hi   Really sorry but this is only a peer to peer help fo...

g-idk
Master

Hi @Grant0100254251  Really sorry but this is only a peer to peer help forum, not an official way to get a hold of Shaw Support team.  You will need to chat/phone Shaw directly for them to help you with this matter.  Oh and please in future don't post your account number in a public forum for everyone to read.  Boy I hope they get it all straightened out for you. 

Good point on the privacy, Grasshopper. I should know bet...

Grant0100254251
Grasshopper

Good point on the privacy, Grasshopper. I should know better.

On the forum, I was hoping it would be moderated. The other channels are just junior staff who are there to filter calls, from what I can tell.

0 Kudos

It is moderated  but only sort of like a volunteer thing...

g-idk
Master

It is moderated @Grant0100254251 but only sort of like a volunteer thing I think, even if the moderator does answer you they will ask you to please chat/call official support  for the proper help on this type of matter as they leave the forums for peer to peer. 

-- please in future don't post your account number in a p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@g-idk -- please in future don't post your account number in a public forum for everyone to read.

Also, the ID: @Grant0100254251 seems to be correlated with your Account Number.  That's not good!

As you are reading this, scroll-down, and click the "Your Voice" hyperlink, to send your comments directly to a Shaw employee.

> in September, as my 2-year rate guarantee expires

You have avoided all the price-increases by Shaw during the two years of your Value Plan. Harshly put, if you were to get "grandfathered" rates for the next two years, I (and other Shaw customers) would be charged higher rates to subsidize your lower rates.  I say "no thanks" to that!

Fair comments on the privacy. As you can tell I'm frustra...

Grant0100254251
Grasshopper

Fair comments on the privacy. As you can tell I'm frustrated. Is there a way to delete the post and the support ID? Thank you.

As for Shaw's pricing, I'm not sure I get the logic that we should all pay higher prices to support each other, especially, when Canadian telecom companies are among the most expensive in the developed world. Further, it doesn't support deceptive sales practices.

0 Kudos

Wow  this is one heck of a situation, and I am sorry that...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

Wow @Grant0100254251 this is one heck of a situation, and I am sorry that you had this sort of situation happen to you.

I am going to start by addressing that in your situation it sounds like you have been passed around way to much. With it being the start of a new fiscal year, Shaw is probably overloaded, as you can probably tell by the hold times, this is the most popular time of year for us customers to call in 😛

Rest assured that the Manager does have your contact info, and I really do hope you have heard from them by now, if not @shaw-tony can you look into Grants call back and see he gets it. Looks like he has been really patient.

Now to address the pricing. Further to @mdk point, Shaw provides the 2-year rate plans to guarantee rates for 2 years. After which, you should expect to always pay full price for services. Because Shaw is actively upgrading their network in the background (I have some inside knowledge of this), and providing more and more services, it is reasonable from a business level to adjust pricing. If you are looking for the lowest rates, without the benefits a major telecom offers, then you may want to consider a reseller.

Major telecoms like Shaw, Telus, Bell, or Rogers are the ones funding and expanding service offerings and networks to Canadians, therefore they are entitled to recoup their costs. Frankly, it is irrelevant what Canadians pay compared to the rest of the world, the local major telecoms are not subject to competing with the rest of the world.

I'm very sorry to hear of the poor experience you've had...

shaw-tony

@Grant0100254251 I'm very sorry to hear of the poor experience you've had with renewing your plan. I've reviewed your account and have contacted the original agent's leadership team to contact you directly on this matter. I appreciate your feedback and the agent will be coach accordingly. Keep me posted if you don't hear anything in the next few days.