Jump to solution

Forced to pay cancellation fees despite continuation of services?

Tosslehofe
Grasshopper

I just moved into a new house with my mother, we both had Shaw service. We're keeping mine, as it has what's desired, and were intending to cancel hers. But she had to pay a $340 cancellation fee.

What the hell?

Why was there no way to merge her into my account or just cancel the **bleep** thing considering we're still customers ..??

it certainly doesn't give me much incentive to stay with shaw, given I can sign a new contract and then take advantage of the 10 day cancellation clause at literally any time 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Hi , Yes they will charge you if you are moving to an ar...

g-idk
Master

Hi @nikad , Yes they will charge you if you are moving to an area that Shaw does not serve, it is listed in the Joint terms and conditions here is a quote from it.  If You are Moving
If you are moving you are responsible to notify Shaw at least 30 days prior to the date you are moving. If you move
to a location that is outside of the area served by Shaw and are not subject to a service agreement, these Terms of
Service shall be terminated and you must return all Rental Equipment to Shaw. If you are a Shaw Digital Phone
subscriber and you move to a new location within Shaw's serving area and you wish to transfer the Shaw Digital
Phone Services, including your current telephone number to the new premises, you must give Shaw a minimum of
15 calendar days advance notice. For Shaw Digital Phone Services, you may only transfer your telephone number
within the same exchange area. The ability to transfer the Services to a new location is dependent on the availability
of the Services at the new location and subject to change depending on the available channel lineup, packages and
pricing in the new location.  

here is the link 

Joint_Terms_of_Service_Privacy_Policy_Internet_Acceptable_Use_Policy_-_June_2020.pdf (ctfassets.net)

so basically if you move to an area that Shaw serves then no problem they will just transfer you services, but however if you move out of there service area then yes they will consider the account being cancelled and all fees due .  I know that sucks but they are like it not our fault your moving somewhere we don't service.  That's one of the downfalls of signing 2 year contracts , you lock yourself in without reading all the small print.  Hope this is the information you were looking for, let me know if I misunderstood your question.  

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Jump to solution

Hi  yes that is a tough one, in the end it is all just bu...

g-idk
Master

Hi @Tosslehofe yes that is a tough one, in the end it is all just business.  The reason I believe for the cancellation fee is your mother must have been on a 2 year value plan with Shaw and would have been told and emailed about the terms that if you cancel for any reason except moving your services you will be charged x amount of money for the reminder months of the plan.  They really is no way to merge her into your account and you technically are not still customers you are a single customer now.  This is one of the things that always scares me about 2 year contracts with telco's what if your life situation changes drastically then you find out you have to pay for this and this and this.  Good Luck 

Jump to solution

Aye. It is to be expected, at least, when dealing with co...

Tosslehofe
Grasshopper

Aye. It is to be expected, at least, when dealing with companies like Telus, Rogers, Videotron or Bell. 

I'll never understand why a company would rather drive two loyal customers to the competition rather than just forgiving the contract, especially when getting out of it for me is as simple as signing a new one, and then taking advantage of the 10 day cancellation clause. If they want their cake, they need to eat it too. They needed that $340 so badly that they lost all future business from me. Great strategy. Not like I pay twice that in 2 months. If they're gonna act like Telus, I might as well swap to Telus. At least they've got synchronous speeds.

Shaw wasn't like this until recently. I've been a loyal customer for 13 years, precisely because they don't do **bleep** like this. Shame. 

Jump to solution

-- We're keeping mine, as it has what's desired, and were...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Tosslehofe -- We're keeping mine, as it has what's desired, and were intending to cancel hers.

Could you have kept the account with the more months remaining in the contract, and "downgraded" the services on the other account, and then "upgrade" the services on the selected account?

As you are reading this, scroll-down to see:

Capture.JPG

Click the "Your Voice" hyperlink to send your "feedback" directly to Shaw.

Jump to solution

Hi again  hey I thought of another thing.  You were sayin...

g-idk
Master

Hi again @Tosslehofe hey I thought of another thing.  You were saying that you can cancel your account anytime and just sign up for a new contract to get a better deal anytime.  Ummm I'd double check that because I believe you have to wait 90 days after cancelling services to be re-eligible for new customer type discounts, if not you have to pay the regular rates.  And also Shaw has actually had this contract cancellation thing for quite a few years now if you sign up for value plans.  Only month to month subscriptions don't pay a cancellation fee.  Well anyways hope it all comes to a satisfactory conclusion.  

Jump to solution

nono  I meant the other way around. I was saying that I c...

Tosslehofe
Grasshopper

nono @g-idk I meant the other way around. I was saying that I could avoid the cancellation fee by signing up for a new bundle deal, which would override the previous contract, at which point you take advantage of the "10 day no-questions-asked cancellation" clause and get out without paying any fees

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Ohhhh  you son of a gun.  Never thought of that.  Totally...

g-idk
Master

Ohhhh @Tosslehofe you son of a gun.  Never thought of that.  Totally understood what you meant by that.  Yahoo for loop holes, but better be careful they might figure away around it.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

You could only renew within a month or two of the value p...

rstra
Grand Master

You could only renew within a month or two of the value plan expiring, by then your buyout would be $15 to $40 depending on your level of service and how much time was left. 

Jump to solution

Totally right  I forgot about that, I had a feeling there...

g-idk
Master

Totally right @rstra I forgot about that, I had a feeling there was no loop hole, I just finished renewing my 2 year plan and was only 2 months away and they said they would waive the cancellation fee, duhh totally forgot. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Ya I think they have all bases covered when it comes to t...

rstra
Grand Master

Ya I think they have all bases covered when it comes to the value plan. Tougher on younger people as they tend to change living arrangements a lot. I have been a customer of Shaw since they did the swap with Rogers and I am an ex long term employee, that will always be living in Shaw territory, so makes sense for me.