wrote  Shaw/Rogers ... could easily impose another increa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Luke20 wrote  Shaw/Rogers ... could easily impose another increase at anytime that I'm stuck with.

The two-year Value Plan freezes your TV and your Internet prices for the duration. There are no "freezes" for other components (Home Phone, add-on TV channels, et cetera).

You are not "stuck" -- within 10 days of starting a new contract, you can cancel the contract, with no fees.  After that, you can cancel anytime, subject to a $30/month cancellation fee, namely paying $30/month rather than paying well over $100/month for their services.

0 Kudos

g-idk: Thank you for that. I have never heard a sales age...

rickatk
Master

g-idk: Thank you for that. I have never heard a sales agent refer to that clause (I have 5 pieces of rental gear, all discounted.) I would love nothing more than to drop everything but the wifi service. Unfortunately there are too many variables and requests from others living in the house. 

Agree with all comments about this fee increase. On top o...

IMUseful
Grasshopper

Agree with all comments about this fee increase. On top of this, it is outside of the 24 month rate guarantee for services, (smart on their part), so if you thought you had a fixed cost, you don’t.  And there is nothing stopping further rental rate increases going forward.  May not be an issue with one box, but three or four additional adds up in a hurry. Look at Rogers back East and they are getting $17 increases so you know it’s coming to your neighborhood too.  Can’t be happy with $170 bundle, got to squeeze another $7.

I agree that this is a complete rip off to the consumer t...

Tetley123
Grasshopper

I agree that this is a complete rip off to the consumer that’s already paying a fortune to them.

What happened to  the contract that I signed.

so disappointed in this merger.

0 Kudos

wrote What happened to the contract that I signed ... A c...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Tetley123 wrote What happened to the contract that I signed ...

A contract is a contract. Ask any lawyer.  😞

Your two-year Value Plan freezes the fees for your TV and your Internet services for 2 years.

The contract does not freeze the fees for other components (additional TV boxes, add-on channels, Home Phone, PPV, et cetera).

Return the extra TV box(es), to stop paying. 

0 Kudos

This is accurately called breach of contract and subject...

acwatson1
Grasshopper

This is accurately called breach of contract and subject to a class action lawsuit I believe.  Was told if I stayed wiith Shaw I would have to agree to the terms and price of a 2 year contract.  That contract for us is up February 2025 so they have actually negated our agreed upon deal, which is punishable by law.   So who do we need to approach to get this action done??  We have 3 boxes, one of which is still in the box as their installer never ran the necessary cabling to it yet now I will be paying to store it for them?

Mts here we come, as no need to pay any penalties for leaving a contract that Shaw/Rogers (ptooie) have breached on us.  Mass leaving is inevitable now and they have no grounds to hold us to their contract which they have altered before the agreed upon date.

0 Kudos

, Hi totally understand your feelings on the matter but R...

g-idk
Master

@acwatson1 , Hi totally understand your feelings on the matter but Rogers/Shaw has not broken or breached the contract. It clearly states in the fine print that equipment rentals, channel add-ons, pick a channel, theme packs, additional phone add-ons are not part of or included in any 2 year value plan contract only your base internet and tv package price will covered under the 2 year value plan contract.  I know this sucks but I don't think a lawyer would touch this, since you signed the contract and had a 10 day grace period to read all the fine print in the contract and try out the services before accepting the terms.  A lot of people are mad and rightly so, but this ends up being another "you should have read the fine print" lesson for all of us.  Return the extra boxes, buy a firestick and don't give them the satisfaction of your extra tv box money every month,  Take care and sorry for the bad news.     

All well and good, but a year and a half ago I called Sha...

acwatson1
Grasshopper

All well and good, but a year and a half ago I called Shaw to disontinue in favour of a much better deal with MTS and was offered a verbal contract over the phone of two years service at a specific price that I would be bound to, with the threat of a mionthly penalty if I did leave before the 2 years were up, no ifs, ands or buts, and no mention of any hidden clauses that would be lurking stating 'but we might change some of your fees along the way'

For the paltry change they made they surely have created an anti Shaw, let move to MTS/Bell when the contract ends.  So be it.

0 Kudos

, I hear you and totally understand your feelings.

g-idk
Master

@acwatson1 , I hear you and totally understand your feelings.  

0 Kudos

-- it is your responsibility to read the contract's "fine...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@acwatson1 -- it is your responsibility to read the contract's "fine print", which freezes your TV & Internet monthly charges for the two years, but it implicitly does allow fee increases on other items (add-on TV channels, PPV, Home Phone, equipment rental, et cetera).

Although you are "bound" to the contract, the contract also specifies that you can terminate the contract at any time. If you do, instead of paying over $100/month for the remaining months on your contract, you will pay $30/month as the cancellation fee, thus "saving" you well over $70/month.  So, don't wait to switch to one of the fiber-optic providers: Telus/Bell/MTS/SaskTel or to one of the resellers (e.g., Uniserve in BC).  Note that the resellers piggy-back on the Shaw/Rogers coaxial (and fiber-optic) infrastructure or on the "pure fiber" infrastructure of the telephone companies.