Jump to solution

Ritika WMBJ

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Here is a recording of a Shaw Chat session with: Ritika WMBJ -- sent to me by my friend.

It was not successful at all. The Advisor "closed" the chat session.

Note the "***" that I have used throughout to hide the identity of my friend.

=====================

Welcome! I’m your Virtual Shaw Assistant.

Using a short sentence, question or key words, let me know what I can help you with today.

You at 16:11, Mar 15:
I cannot send E-mail from my Windows 10 desktop.

Info at 16:11, Mar 15:
You are now connected to the Virtual Shaw Assistant.

Shaw Assistant at 16:11, Mar 15:
Sorry you're having trouble.

Please click a button that describes the email issue you're experiencing:

You at 16:11, Mar 15:
Can't Send/Receive Email

If you're having issues sending or receiving email, follow these steps using your webmail portal:

1. Visit https://webmail.shaw.ca/ and log in with your @shaw.ca email. If you have forgotten your @shaw email password type forgot password for instructions on how to reset your password.

2. Check Outbox to see if there are pending emails; if there are, delete them or move them to Drafts

3. Try to send a new email with no attachment. If the email sends, it's likely something was wrong with the previous pending email.

If you can send and receive email using webmail, but you can't send and receive email using an email client like Apple Mail, Windows Mail, or a phone email app, check your Shaw email server settings

Did my response help? Feedback helps me grow.
You at 16:12, Mar 15:
👎

Shaw Assistant at 16:12, Mar 15:
Not what you’re looking for? We can try again or I can connect you to the next agent. Which do you prefer?

Agent

Before I connect you to an agent, I need a bit more info to confirm your account.
What’s your first and last name?

P** B*** 

What 10-digit phone number did you use to set up your Shaw account? For example: 4031112222

You at 16:13, Mar 15:
250-5**-01**

Shaw Assistant at 16:13, Mar 15:
What is the street address for the service you would like to inquire about today? For example: 123 Example street, Vancouver, BC. A1A 1A1

You at 16:13, Mar 15:
*** - 2*** Car Road, Victoria, V8W 2Y2

Shaw Assistant at 16:13, Mar 15:
Thanks! I'll connect you to the next available agent.

Info at 16:13, Mar 15:
You are now being connected to the next available advisor.

Info at 16:13, Mar 15:
You are now connected. Ritika WMBJ is looking into your question.

You at 16:14, Mar 15:
When I try to send E-mail, I get "AUP#SNDR" error-message.

You at 16:16, Mar 15:
An unknown error has occurred. / Subject 'New' / Server Error: 550 / Server Response: 550 [*****@shaw.ca] message rejected. AUP#SNDR / Server: 'mail.shaw.ca' / Protocol: SMTP / Port: 25 / Secure(SSL): No

Ritika WMBJ at 16:18, Mar 15:
Hi P**! This is Ritika from Shaw Technical Support, thank you for contacting us. I am seeing that you are having issues with your webmail. I apologize for the inconvenience caused, let’s see what we can do to resolve your issue.

You at 16:18, Mar 15:
I am not using Shaw WebMail. I am using a full E-mail client on my Windows 10 computer.

Ritika WMBJ at 16:21, Mar 15:
I see.

Ritika WMBJ at 16:21, Mar 15:
May I please have the name of the province on the address above?
The "V" in the Postal Code is for "Victoria" (there is only one Victoria inside Canada).

Ritika WMBJ at 16:23, Mar 15:
I am sorry however, I will need the name of the province to proceed. Can you kindly provide me with that?

You at 16:24, Mar 15:
Victoria, capital of British Columbia, sits on the craggy southern end of Vancouver Island. With abundant parkland, it’s known for outdoor activities. The city's British colonial past shows in its Victorian architecture, including stately Craigdarroch Castle mansion. Butchart Gardens, with 55 acres of vivid floral displays, plus statuary, water features and a carousel, is one of many formal gardens in the city.

Ritika WMBJ at 16:24, Mar 15:
May I also have your full first and last name?

You at 16:25, Mar 15:
I already gave it. Here it is again: P** B*****

Ritika WMBJ at 16:26, Mar 15:
Thank you.

Ritika WMBJ at 16:27, Mar 15:
Can you please try to log into the webmail.shaw.ca and see if the same issue occurs with the Shaw email?

You at 16:29, Mar 15:
That worked fine. So, my E-mail ID & password are correct. However, although I can receive E-mail to my desktop computer, I get the "AUP#SNDR" error-message when trying to send E-mail. Is Shaw "blocking" E-mail from my Shaw E-mail ID?

Ritika WMBJ at 16:29, Mar 15:
Can you send email from webmail.shaw.ca?

You at 16:32, Mar 15:
It appears to be sent (to my friend's GMail ID), but the "test" message does not show up in the "Sent" folder within Shaw WebMail. Is Shaw "blocking E-mail from my Shaw E-mail ID?

Ritika WMBJ at 16:32, Mar 15:
Alright.

Ritika WMBJ at 16:33, Mar 15:
Before we proceed, I will need to authenticatethe account.

authenticate the account*

Do you perhaps go by another name or maybe someone else (friends or family) is on the account as the account holder?

You at 16:34, Mar 15:
No. I am 80 years old, and am living independently.

Ritika WMBJ at 16:34, Mar 15:
Oh I see.

You at 16:35, Mar 15:
My monthly Shaw invoice comes to my address, in my name.
It is sent to me via Canada Post.

Ritika WMBJ at 16:35, Mar 15:
Can you please re-confirm your full name?

You at 16:35, Mar 15:
For the 3rd time, my name is P** B****

You at 16:38, Mar 15:
Would it authenticate me, if I gave the Account Number on my most-recent invoice?

Ritika WMBJ at 16:40, Mar 15:
I understand, however I am unable to authenticate you that way. Unfortunately, due to being unable to authenticate you, I am unable to proceed with the webmail issue. Kindly, reach us via chat or call us at 1 (888) 472-2222 or visit a Shaw retail store to authenticate yourself with an ID.

You still there? We've ended this session due to inactivity.

==================

The advisor was nowhere near to understanding the issue, and did not "escalate" the issue to a Supervisor.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

That’s odd, something about that message that the email s...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk That’s odd, something about that message that the email server didn’t like.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

, very glad to see that in the end you were able to help...

g-idk
Master

@mdk , very glad to see that in the end you were able to help your friend.  I hope they appreciate what you endured, thank you for helping them. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Jump to solution

What a horrible experience. They absolutely used the excu...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  What a horrible experience. They absolutely used the excuse that they couldn’t authenticate you to avoid having to troubleshoot. 

Does it help if you change the outgoing port to 587?

Jump to solution

Attempt #2 to use Shaw Chat. A different Shaw Agent/Advis...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Attempt #2 to use Shaw Chat. A different Shaw Agent/Advisor, but equally not "happy" (as in "happy to help").

[Some personal details have been ****** out.]

================

Sanjana WSJU

Shaw Assistant at 9:15, Mar 18:
Thanks! I'll connect you to the next available agent.

Info at 9:15, Mar 18:
You are now being connected to the next available advisor.

Info at 9:15, Mar 18:
You are now connected. Sanjana WSJU is looking into your question.
Sanjana WSJU at 9:15, Mar 18:

Thank you for contacting Shaw!
This is Sanjana from the Technical support team in Winnipeg.
I am sorry to hear this you are having an issue with webmail …..
I will be happy to help you get this resolved.

Sanjana WSJU at 9:16, Mar 18:
are you having issue to send and receive email from only one device ?

You at 9:16, Mar 18:
My friend cannot send E-mail from her Windows 10 desktop computer.
She can send/receive via Shaw WebMail.
She only has one device.

Sanjana WSJU at 9:17, Mar 18:
alright and and can you please confirm her email address ?

You at 9:17, Mar 18:
Her Shaw E-mail ID is "p........".

Sanjana WSJU at 9:18, Mar 18:
i am so sorry but i may need the fully email address as in ................@shaw.ca

Sanjana WSJU at 9:18, Mar 18:
and also her account number

You at 9:18, Mar 18:
Her Shaw E-mail ID is "p*******".

You at 9:18, Mar 18:
When she tries to send, she gets "AUP#SNDR" error-message.
Does AUP mean "Appropriate Usage Policy"? Does "SNDR" mean "Sender".

Sanjana WSJU at 9:19, Mar 18:
and can you please confirm her full name , phone number on her account and the full address with city and postal code ?

You at 9:21, Mar 18:
I am not at her residence.
So, I do not have her account-number.
Her telephone-number is 250-***-****

Sanjana WSJU at 9:22, Mar 18:
alright so can she access her email address signing into webmail.shaw.ca ?
from that same computer

You at 9:22, Mar 18:
Yes, as I wrote, Shaw WebMail works for send/receive from the same computer.

You at 9:23, Mar 18:
Does "AUP" mean that she is violating some "Appropriate Usage Policy" ?

Sanjana WSJU at 9:26, Mar 18:
alright so if she is using any third party app as in Mail , outlook then it will be out of scope for us and as dont [sic] have enough info about her account and we cannot authenticate her we may not be able to disclose any info about her account to you in that case she will have call us or you can call us once you at her place so that we can get the permission for her to disclose and troubleshoot it further and about the error she get i am sending yo u link and you will find all relevant info about this error

Sanjana WSJU at 9:26, Mar 18:
https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/shaw-email-returning-aup-sndr-trying-to-forward-an-e....
1(888)-472-2222

Sanjana WSJU at 9:28, Mar 18:
and yes "AUP" as in "Appropriate Usage Policy"

You at 9:30, Mar 18:
My friend is not very computer-literate.
I doubt that she is DELIBERATELY violating any AUP.
If her E-mail is being "blocked", can you (or your supervisor) REMOVE that block? P.S. That URL reports that other Shaw customers are getting the same "AUP#SNDR" message, but there is nothing in that discussion thread on how to REMOVE that block. Please advise HOW to remove the block.

==================

At this point, the title-bar of the chat-window showed "connection unavailable" (but I still had Internet access in other Microsoft Edge windows).  Huh?

Both the Vancouver Canucks and Shaw are letting me down, again and again.  Sigh.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi  , your friend is trying hard to help the person, but...

g-idk
Master

Hi @mdk , your friend is trying hard to help the person, but I can sure see and understand how this has totally gone sideways.  Of course Shaw Support is not going to help or escalate on this matter, once they realize they are not talking to the official account holder and I would assume that it would be standard practice to immediately disconnect the call.  Someone needs to tell your friend that they need to go over to that persons residence and contact Shaw from there so that the official account holder can verify their identity to Shaw and give permission to Shaw for this person to talk on their behave with Shaw Support to try and fix whatever problems.  I have done this myself many times for the seniors etc. in my apt. complex when dealing with Shaw/Hydro/Telus. But please tell your friend Thank You very much for trying to help out, we need more of that in the world.  

Jump to solution

-- thanks for the reply. However, I am the "friend" of th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@g-idk -- thanks for the reply.

However, I am the "friend" of the very-senior lady with the "AUP#SNDR" issue.

I would assume that it would be standard practice to immediately disconnect the call. 

In the past, I have been disconnected, but with a message stating that the session has been closed. To me, this is a different message than "connection unavailable".  I tried to open a new "chat" window -- it did not connect.  So, I will allow that it might have been some technical "network" problem, rather than a deliberate action by the Agent/Advisor.

go over to that persons [sic] residence and contact Shaw

That would cost me $18.60 on BC Ferries ( www.twitter.com/bcferrys ) to get off Vancouver Island, about $10 for a day-pass on BC Transit to her home, and another $18.60 to get back onto Vancouver Island. Add food, my time, parking-fees (or bus fare to/from the V.I. ferry terminal).  So, your suggestion is not optimal.  😞

I have no idea why the Agent/Advisor could not telephone the number of their customer, to "authenticate".  I snipped-out the first part of the session, where I supplied my name & telephone number & residential address & my Shaw account-number, to identify myself to Shaw, so that Shaw could telephone her, to ask her "do you authorize name/phone/address to talk on your behalf?"

Sigh.

Jump to solution

Hi  , ahhh, so not a close neighbour then, yes that sure...

g-idk
Master

Hi @mdk , ahhh, so not a close neighbour then, yes that sure does add to the problem.  I have run into the same problem that you have had with Telus/Shaw/Hydro in trying to help nieghbours who lack english or are seniors, so know I go to their place and get them to talk first, give permission and then I take over, I'm done with the headache of trying to call from my own place to fix someone else's account.  I can only think of one other way for you to help this person and that is for them to call ahead to Shaw and see if they can add or authorize you to help on the account, they might have to give Shaw some of your personal info. or maybe set up a special password so when you call and give your info on her account it can match for an authentication for you to proceed.  Don't know for sure if this would work or not but it does sound logical. Well fingers crossed for you, I know what you're going thru.   

Jump to solution

/  -- I stumbled onto a solution, namely to get my friend...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@g-idk / @rstra -- I stumbled onto a solution, namely to get my friend to move one message from her "outbox" folder into a different folder within her E-mail client. To my surprise, that solved the problem.  Shaw, you get a "zero-out-of-ten" for your support. 😞

Jump to solution

That’s odd, something about that message that the email s...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk That’s odd, something about that message that the email server didn’t like.

Jump to solution

, very glad to see that in the end you were able to help...

g-idk
Master

@mdk , very glad to see that in the end you were able to help your friend.  I hope they appreciate what you endured, thank you for helping them.