Is Shaw Phone subject to today's CRTC order for ip based phones to implement Caller ID verification?

AndyK
Grasshopper

Is Shaw Phone subject to today's CRTC order for ip based phones to implement Stir/Shaken Caller ID verification? 

Labels (1)
6 Replies

Is there any reason for Shaw (or other telephone-service...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Is there any reason for Shaw (or other telephone-service providers) to be exempted from the CRTC regulation?

If so, it would be a "toothless" regulation by the CRTC.

0 Kudos

I was thinking about the technology not working on landli...

AndyK
Grasshopper

I was thinking about the technology not working on landlines, but Shaw Phone is IP based so they would be included. Actually a huge advantage for Shaw once it's implemented in all the countries where the calls originate.

0 Kudos

> I was thinking about the technology not working on land...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I was thinking about the technology not working on land-lines ...

The technology should work when the recipient of the call is using a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) land-line.

However, if the caller is using a land-line, then the TSP (Telephone Service Provider) has set the Caller-ID information, when the caller subscribed to the TSP.  So, the recipient will see the as-issued telephone-number (or "unknown number", if the caller/TSP has enabled this option).

The problem is that the caller, when using IP-based services, can set the Caller-ID information to literally ANYTHING, on their CPE (Customer Provided Equipment), i.e., "spoofing".

0 Kudos

I would think that Shaw is subject to the order. I became...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

I would think that Shaw is subject to the order. I became aware of a Shaw Phone feature that I enabled (Spam Filter) on December 9. It is very effective and uses an algorithm to detect and block 'spam' calls. Callers have the option of leaving a voice message on Shaw Voicemail in case it is a legitimate call.  I have had zero nuisance calls and none have left a voice mail. I do not know how long this feature has been available with Shaw, but perhaps it was their response (albeit early) to the CRTC order.

0 Kudos

Please read about Shaw's roll-out:   STIR/SHAKEN Overview...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Please read about Shaw's roll-out:   STIR/SHAKEN Overview & FAQ (shaw.ca)

0 Kudos

Bell is "permanently" rolling-out some technology, after...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Bell is "permanently" rolling-out some technology, after obtaining permission from the CRTC:

Bell Canada gets call-blocking technology approved by telecom watchdog (msn.com)

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help