Landline Phone Display Showing Line In Use

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

I've tried everything to get my landline phone working.  The call display keeps showing line in use when in fact the phone isn't being used.  I've done a reset on the phone modem by unplugging the power cord from the power outlet and unscrewing the coaxial from both the modem and the wall and removing the battery from the modem.  And all cables are affixed firmly.  Does anyone have further suggestions?  Thanks for any help you can give me.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies

, those would of been my suggestions as well.  I'm thinki...

g-idk
Master

@merrymermaid , those would of been my suggestions as well.  I'm thinking maybe the phone itself.  I have a cordless home model with 2 handsets and bases, one of them I cannot use anymore because if I place it in the base to charge or rest it somehow screws up my line with no dial tone, I now have to use the one handset with the 2 bases and never use or put in that other handheld.  Could anything similar be happening with you.  

0 Kudos

Thanks for replying to my post g-idk.  My landline phone...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks for replying to my post g-idk.  My landline phone is a corded one.  I've been checking online for help over this past week.  I noticed the lights on my phone modem were flashing and from what I read online they should NOT be flashing.  I read a piece online by Shaw that said to insert a pin in the reset opening on the modem and hold for 20 seconds.  I did this an hour ago and now the lights aren't flashing, they're solidly fixed.  And my landline phone display isn't showing line in use.  Fingers crossed this did the trick.  

I have an Arris digital phone terminal and it was installed in March of 2012.  If I continue to have this problem, I think it may too old and needs to be replaced. 

0 Kudos

, ok good to hear you got it up and running. Yes the term...

g-idk
Master

@merrymermaid , ok good to hear you got it up and running. Yes the terminal could be slowly dying.   Mine is 1 year older than yours, my terminal modem was installed in 2011, still chucking along though, I'm amazed. Contact Rogers/Shaw directly if the problem keeps happening.  

0 Kudos

I "spoke" too soon last night, g-idk My phone didn't stay...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

I "spoke" too soon last night, g-idk😏 My phone didn't stay connected for long.  I notice only the top 3 lights are lit on the modem with the top 2 lights solid and the 3rd light flashing even though I've done the resets.  I really think the phone modem needs replacing.  It's an Arris TM602 installed March/2012 and I think I need a new Ignite home phone modem.

I'm trying to get onto Shaw chat for help but there's a service disruption in my area this morning.  Thanks again for your feedback.  

0 Kudos

One way to tell for sure if it is the phone modem, unplug...

rstra
Grand Master

@merrymermaid  One way to tell for sure if it is the phone modem, unplug the phone line from the back of the terminal see if the lights go back to normal. Then you can plug a phone directly in to the modem.  

It does sound like a problem with the phone terminal, but this is one way to test to see if there is a problem with the phone or wiring. 

Thanks very much for your feedback, rstra.  Here is the s...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks very much for your feedback, rstra.  Here is the status of my landline phone at present ~ The first  4 lights are on solidly (Power, DS (downstream), US (upstream), Online.  The link light is not on.  The telephone 1 light is solidly on.  And my landline phone is working with a dial tone and NO line is use showing on my phone's call display.  Fingers crossed it will be working fine now.

With regards to Telephone 1 and Telephone 2 ~ should I be using the Telephone 1 outlet?  That is what I'm doing.  I only have 1 landline phone.  

I'll try your considerate suggestions if I continue to have problems with the phone modem.  I have a 12-year old Arris phone modem so am wondering if I need an upgraded phone modem.  Thanks a million, rstra.  

0 Kudos

Yes, you want to be using tel 1.

rstra
Grand Master

@merrymermaid  Yes, you want to be using tel 1.

0 Kudos

Thanks, rstra, I am using Tel 1.  No luck with your previ...

merrymermaid
Grasshopper

Thanks, rstra, I am using Tel 1.  No luck with your previous suggestions.  I just finished doing a reset on my phone modem by unscrewing the coaxial and unplugging the power cord.  And I waited a few minutes before affixing them. All the lights came on solidly except yet again there was no LINK light.  The phone worked for around 20 minutes and then went back to only the top 3 lights flashing with my phone display showing LINE IN USE and no dial tone.

Would you suggest I contact Shaw and have a tech come over?  Thanks so much again for your help.  

0 Kudos

Yes, looks like time for a service call. When you pull th...

rstra
Grand Master

@merrymermaid Yes, looks like time for a service call. When you pull the power cord, you also need to pull the battery, but at this point I think you have proven that the phone terminal is faulty. I am not sure what equipment they are providing now for home phone, if they will replace it with a stand-alone phone terminal, or if they will install an Ignite gateway, which does internet and phone. 

0 Kudos