1/3 Internet Speed on Wired Computer

Inland
Grasshopper

I have Shaw Internet 600.

When directly connected to the router/modem I get 600mbps. However, when I connect to a switch then to a different computer I'm only getting about 200mbps. Previously this wasn't an issue.

I've tried running the speed test in safe mode. I've tried swapping out the switch for a different one. I'm still only getting 200mbps for some reason.

Any other ideas? I'd swap the Ethernet cable running from the router to the switch, but it goes through a wall and is 50FT long and I don't have a spare, It's not something I want to do unless absolutely necessary as it's a pain to do.

Labels (1)
2 Replies

Update: I've isolated it down to just the one Windows 10...

Inland
Grasshopper

Update: I've isolated it down to just the one Windows 10 wired computer. Plugging in a laptop using the same cables and equipment gets the full 600 mbps.

I've ran the test in safe mode and it's always around 200 mbps. When checking the ethernet status on the computer it does say 1 gbps. So it's capable, but for some reason won't reach faster speeds.

0 Kudos

> I've ran the test in safe mode, and it's always around...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I've ran the test in safe mode, and it's always around 200 mbps.

How fast is the processor in your computer?  I have a laptop with a dual-core processor, each core running at only 1.6 Ghz. On it, the SpeedTest results are significantly slow, and the Windows "Task Manager" shows 100% busy for the processors. A different laptop, with a much-faster processor, gives the optimal result (300 Mb/second).

> When checking the Ethernet status on the computer, it does say 1 Gbps.

Check the settings for the Ethernet adapter, to ensure that it is set to "full-duplex", not "half-duplex".

Or, enter BIOS-setup, and "disable" the Ethernet adapter that is built-in to the motherboard. Purchase ($20 ?) an add-in Ethernet adapter, and install it into your desktop computer, reboot, let Windows install the device-driver for the new adapter, then rerun the SpeedTest

TALK TO US
We're here to help