2nd Public IP address

ksihota
Grasshopper

Recently I upgraded to Ignite 1.5GB internet. Previously I had a XB6 on a lower plan and had the modem in bridge mode in order to obtain 2 public IPs from Shaw.

When I set up the new XB7 modem I put it into Bridge mode in order to get the 2nd IP address but I was only able to obtain 1.

I read this info on Rogers site:
"When the Ignite Gateway is in Bridge Mode, the internal LAN ports are "bridged" together with the WAN ports, providing them with direct access to the Internet with no firewall. That will allow a router (or whatever hardware you have connected) to obtain a public IP address. However, Rogers only allows only two devices to obtain a public IP address; one is used by the Ignite gateway itself, because it still has services running on it even while Bridge Mode is enabled, leaving only one other address available for a device that is connected to a LAN port."

Is this what is happening with the Shaw setup? Is a 2nd public IP address no longer available? I specifically chose Shaw originally because they offered the 2nd IP address. I certainly hope they are not revoking that ability.

I am going to try setting the modem into bridge mode once more and using ports 1 and 2 which was suggested by a Shaw advisor when I contacted them but I am a little concerned after reading the info on Rogers.

I really do not want to have to reconfigure my whole network and server setup again if this is the case.

Does anyone else have their XB7 set up to obtain 2 separate public IP addresses, and if you do can you explain how you configured it to do that?

Thanks for any assistance.

Labels (3)
3 Replies

Maybe Rogers removed the second ip when they upgraded you...

rstra
Grand Master

@ksihota   Maybe Rogers removed the second ip when they upgraded your account, contact them.

0 Kudos

Yes I have been in contact with Shaw Support (they still...

ksihota
Grasshopper

Yes I have been in contact with Shaw Support (they still appear to be who is handling Internet although it is called Rogers Together with Shaw) and they couldn't tell me much. They suggested I try again using ports 1 and 2 and did say I would get 2 IPs. Crossing my fingers. I can't do any changes until no one is needing Internet access as it brings down my whole system so I am hoping to test this out tonight after everyone has gone to bed. I was just curious if anyone else was using 2 IPs and if so how they had it set up using the XB7.

0 Kudos

For anyone else switching to the XB7 modem and running 2...

ksihota
Grasshopper

For anyone else switching to the XB7 modem and running 2 public IP addresses.

After talking with tech support, I set the modem back into bridge mode. This time I made sure my network cables were connected to ports 1 and 2. This time when the modem rebooted I was able to obtain 2 separate public IP addresses.

I am not sure why this did not happen the first time I did this. I admit that I am not sure if I actually had port 1 and port 2 connected and I know I had a single IP so maybe that was the issue. On the other hand as was suggested by @rstra , maybe they had only a single IP address available to my new setup and when I contacted support maybe they enabled a 2nd? Since I have no idea how the system works from their end I guess I will never know.

At least for now I am getting 2 public IPs so I can get my system back up and running again.

TALK TO US
We're here to help