5G SSID suddenly disappearing

Not applicable

Several times this evening the 5G SSID disappeared from mobile devices while the 2.4 SSID remains on our Hitron CGNM-2250 - SHW. 

I restarted the router each time and that seems to have remedied the issue until it returns about an hour later. Has there been a firmware update recently for the router? My router's hardware version is 1A, software version is 4.5.11.9.1.

Labels (1)
16 Replies

Re: 5G SSID suddenly disappearing

Not applicable

This issue has been happening again today. Before I wait on hold and go through repeating the same old, same old troubleshooting steps that level 1 tech support insist I do, I want to ensure there isn't a firmware issue. Granted, if there was a recent update there might not be much info (at this time). 

shaw-tony

Hey michael_carlione,

Thank you for reaching out! That is certainly odd. Do you have any smart home devices, WiFi speakers or WiFi security cameras connected to the 2.4G or 5G networks? There have been reports of these devices causing the 5G network to disappear.

I would recommend a factory PIN hole reset with the steps here to see if the issues are still prevalent after the reset (clears all settings). I haven't heard of any details on a firmware update, from what I know there hasn't been one as your version is the most up-to-date available.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

Not applicable

Do you know why WiFi speakers or WiFi security cameras might cause the 5G network to disappear. I am having this issue with my Hitron  and have both on my network. Cameras on the 2.4ghz and speakers on the 5Ghz

0 Kudos

jevans79
Grasshopper

I am having the same issues.  I was advised to replace my modem.  3 days later, new modem, same thing - 5G drops out randomly.  This is really a pain.

Not applicable

Hi you have a "personal" router you could use, set that router in "AP" (Access Point) mode and connect it to the hitron. I've noticed the Hitron is lacking in WiFi performance. I disabled WiFi on the Hitron and am using the WiFi from my personal router (Netgear), my devices work so much better this way. The Hitron I have is set to the default "Gateway" mode since in "Bridge" mode I kept getting internet freezes (sometimes 3 times a day) and would have to power cycle the Hitron, in "Gateway" mode everything seems to be working well and have not had any freezes since.

Regards: Jack

Not applicable

Looks like this was one of those issues Shaw didn't want to disclose to the public. My issues have been resolved in as much the problem is no longer present. 

I’m getting this too

darcy_norman
Grasshopper

It’s getting really annoying. Several times a day now, I need to reboot the hitron device to get 5G to come back. I don’t have any smart home stuff using 5G - I have a nest thermostat and 2 nest smoke detectors and a garage door opener on the 2.5G network. Only laptops, phones, tablets, Xbox on 5G. 

Hey , it may be a modem issue. Can you try a factory rese...

shaw-tony

Hey @darcy_norman, it may be a modem issue. Can you try a factory reset so it is under stock settings to see if it becomes more stable? Otherwise, a modem swap may be needed.

0 Kudos

I’ve done a factory reset already. Didn’t seem to help.

darcy_norman
Grasshopper

I’ve done a factory reset already. Didn’t seem to help. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help