I have had two of the new 300/600 Modem / Routers. An Arr...

rickatk
Master

I have had two of the new 300/600 Modem / Routers. An Arris and now a Technicolor. Both run quiet and reasonably cool.

Mine is placed in the main living room on a small wine cupboard next to a Bose SoundTouch 30 speaker. All out in the open with no obstructions, central in my house.

The ST30 is connected to the router via Ethernet to address some wifi interference problems.

I think placement of these devices is very important. I say this based on real time experience.

It is a new modem...what is tge swap procedure. thanks

pgalliaz
Grasshopper

It is a new modem...what is tge swap procedure. thanks

0 Kudos

> It is a new modem. Please describe the problems that yo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> It is a new modem.

Please describe the problems that you have been encountering? Low numbers from Shaw SpeedTest ?

What is the distance between the Shaw device and your WiFi device? How many walls must the WiFi signal go through?

> what is tge swap procedure

Make a telephone-call to Shaw, and have a dialogue to book a mutually-convenient time for the Shaw technician to come to your location, disconnect the device, connect the replacement device, and to "activate" the new device.

0 Kudos

I have the same problem.So much fan noise.Like others hav...

Faction
Grasshopper

I have the same problem.So much fan noise.Like others have said the old unit made no noise at all.It does seem to work better if it is not upright.Still abit hokey that it would be so noisy.

I got my bluecurve modem yesterday, plugged it in, and th...

Kmoeller
Grasshopper

I got my bluecurve modem yesterday, plugged it in, and the fan immediately turned on. It wouldn't turn off at all and it's loud enough that I hear it well across the room. I tried multiple placements, differents outlets, etc and no change. I went and exchanged it for a new one this morning. Exact same problem. Shaw reps are telling me they have never heard of a noise problem with this modem and I'm getting pretty frustrated. I wish I had never upgraded my service. I was perfectly happy with my old silent modem and the speed I was getting. I'm switching back to my slower internet specifically because of this issue.

> Shaw reps are telling me they have never heard of a noi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Shaw reps are telling me they have never heard of a noise problem with this modem.

If they are working in a call-centre, with headsets and cubicles, they are used to high levels of noise.

Take the modem home, where the ambient level of sound is much lower, you will hear the cat walking about, and you will hear the fan inside this modem.

Train your warm-air-loving cat to sleep near the exhaust-port of the fan, to use/abuse it as a "muffler".

A Ham Radio aficionado uses emptied cardboard egg-cartons nailed to the walls, to reduce the noise. You might give that a try, if a spare cat is not available.   🙂

0 Kudos

Solved!  FYI. To everyone who found the incessant fan on...

heron
Grasshopper

Solved! 

FYI. To everyone who found the incessant fan on the BlueCurve modem extremely distracting and annoying.

You can call Shaw Billing and request they send you the Hitron wi-fi modem instead. This is the modem they used before Blue Curve. Billing had absolutely  no issue with it and I just received it today. No fan anymore, just a working Internet connection. Peace and quiet in my home once again.

They also lowered my monthly bill by $3 as the modem is cheaper. How about that as bonus?  

Modem is the Hitron CGNM-2250.  Just ask for the Hitron.

Hope this post helps everyone else out 🙂

I attempted to do this and Shaw billing refused. They bas...

k-nv
Grasshopper

I attempted to do this and Shaw billing refused. They basically said they couldn't honor my bundle plan if they switched me to the 300 Hitron from the 600 Gateway and that I would end up paying more even though it was a reduced speed modem. No solutions offered at all.

0 Kudos

In theory, what would Shaw Technical Support do, if you t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

In theory, what would Shaw Technical Support do, if you telephoned them, and say that the Gateway is "dead" -- no lit-up lamps at all, despite unplugging/replugging it, and you tried it in a different electrical outlet, not through a power-bar? Would they say "we have no solution", or would they replace it, maybe with a Hitron, if you said that you are "working-from-home", and need *any* connection (even 300 Mbps on the Hitron) rather than NO connection.  In theory, of course. 🙂

Of course, as you are reading this, scroll-down to "Contact Us" or "Your Voice", and submit something that will NOT go through "Shaw Billing".

0 Kudos

The fifth shaw rep I talked to tried to convince me to gi...

Kmoeller
Grasshopper

The fifth shaw rep I talked to tried to convince me to give a third Blue Curve a try because the two I had just tried that were putting out insane amounts of noise were probably just broken and it was likely a bad coincidence. I told him firmly no, that I had done my research and this was a documented issue with the modem whether they had heard of it or not. I told him I simply wanted to revert my service and use my previous modem, which I hadn't yet returned. It's a Hitron, which I never had any issues with. He was pretty reasonable about it and reconnected my old service plan for the cheaper price that I would have been paying with the Blue Curve. I am happy with the outcome. 

To be clear, the issue is absolutely not the lack of "ambient noise" in my condo making the Blue Curve stand out as intolerable. It actually IS intolerable. I ended up with a migraine from spending an evening sitting in my living room with the high pitched buzzing. I had to unplug it overnight because I could even hear it from my bedroom. My years-old Hitron, which I reconnected after this debacle, is dead silent.

The Blue Curve is a piece of **bleep** and I can't believe that they expect people to live with such a profoundly irritating piece of equipment in their living spaces. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help