Advice for connecting 4 divices by ethernet to shaw's bluecurve gateway?

lyngend
Grasshopper

So, I got a new WFH job. I upgraded my internet from this from a really old plan (so I got a better deal, and still saved money). The issue is, I need 4 ethernet ports, but the blue curve only has 2. And I read a couple other topics where people used a switch but were having problems with this.

So I'm wondering what people's suggestion to solve this issue I have. Also, I need to still have reliable Wifi, as I also have multiple Wifi devices I need to use as well.

Labels (1)
4 Replies

Certainly an Ethernet hub should do the job. Alternativel...

rickatk
Master

Certainly an Ethernet hub should do the job. Alternatively have you looked at your devices to determine if they require Ethernet when wifi could do?

My desktop doesn't have wifi. And I prefer the stronger c...

lyngend
Grasshopper

My desktop doesn't have wifi. And I prefer the stronger connection of Wifi. I'm assuming that the Blue Curve TV player needs it, otherwise why did it come with a ethernet cord (And connection). And my work computer isn't allowed to be connected to a wireless connection in anyway. The last is my xbox. And I don't have the wireless adapter for that.

0 Kudos

-- 1. My desktop doesn't have wifi. If it has a spare USB...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@lyngend --

1. My desktop doesn't have wifi.

If it has a spare USB socket, purchase a USB-to-WiFi adapter.

2. I prefer the stronger connection of Wifi.

A "CAT-5E" (or "CAT-6") Ethernet cable will give you whatever download speed that you are paying Shaw to get.

From a web-site:

Below is a breakdown of the various 802.11 WiFi standards and their corresponding maximum speeds.

Theoretical wireless speeds (combined upstream and downstream) are as follows:

802.11b - 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11a - 54 Mbps (5 GHz)
802.11g - 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11n - 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers
802.11ac - 1300+Mbps (5 GHz) - newer standard that uses wider channels, QAM and spatial streams for higher throughput

So, your download speed depends on whether your WiFi adapter has "a" or "b" or "g" or "n" or "ac" capability.

3. I'm assuming that the Blue Curve TV player needs it, otherwise why did it come with a ethernet cord (And connection).

No useful comment.

4. ... my work computer isn't allowed to be connected to a wireless connection in any way.

What non-technical manager made that silly suggestion? It makes no sense.

Any wireless connection between a computer and a WiFi router is encrypted.

Any Ethernet connection between a computer a "wired" router is NOT encrypted.

Is that computer still located at your previous office, or did you bring it home with you?

5. The last is my xbox. And I don't have the wireless adapter for that.

Purchase one from Amazon or BestBuy or Staples or London Drugs or a local owner/operator computer store.

Bottom line: as @rickatk  wrote, a "hub" or a "switch" is all you need, to add more Ethernet ports.

0 Kudos

The BlueCurve TV player work on wifi or ethernet.  Have y...

rickatk
Master

@lyngend wrote:

My desktop doesn't have wifi. And I prefer the stronger connection of Wifi. I'm assuming that the Blue Curve TV player needs it, otherwise why did it come with a ethernet cord (And connection). And my work computer isn't allowed to be connected to a wireless connection in anyway. The last is my xbox. And I don't have the wireless adapter for that.

The BlueCurve TV player work on wifi or ethernet.  Have you looked at the new Shaw home office firewall? 
https://business.shaw.ca/security/smart-remote-office

A wifi card is cheap

At any rate there are good ethernet switches and hubs out there and they don’t cost much.

0 Kudos