Jump to solution

Blue curve gateway delay seeing internet

pryingcat
Grasshopper

Just updated my home system to gateway and wireless tv players. Everything is running good so far.

My computer is over 5 years old so wifi was really slow (I read wifi hardware in computers that old may not work well). I switched it to hook up cable to ethernet ports.

Getting great bandwidth. Just one problem when I start up my computer or it wakes up from sleep, its taking at least 2 minutes for the computer to find the internet. I shut down the wifi on the computer and just using ethernet. The troubleshoot diagnosis doesn't show anything wrong. It just take a few minutes to find the internet connection. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- My computer is over 5 years old so wifi was really slo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@pryingcat -- My computer is over 5 years old so wifi was really slow (I read wifi hardware in computers that old may not work well).

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet:

• five years old is not "old" -- your computer should still work fine, if you are using it to do the same things that you did when the computer was brand-new;
  • for the disk-drive, five years old is like five years for a dog or for automobile tires -- all 3 are "middle aged". Replacing the disk-drive, especially if you upgrade to a SSD (solid state device), is proactive, and definitely will speed-up your computer;
  • there are 3 different standards for wireless communication: "G" (up to 56 Mbits/second), "N" (up to 150 Mbps), and "AC" (up to 1200 Mbps). Your computer probably does not support the "AC" protocol;
  • if you have not upgraded your Shaw Internet plan for 5 years, you should note that new customers get 300 Mbps by default -- probably faster than what you are getting in your current plan.

I suggest that you view another thread on this forum: delayed Ethernet connection to see if your symptoms are the same. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jump to solution

-- My computer is over 5 years old so wifi was really slo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@pryingcat -- My computer is over 5 years old so wifi was really slow (I read wifi hardware in computers that old may not work well).

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet:

• five years old is not "old" -- your computer should still work fine, if you are using it to do the same things that you did when the computer was brand-new;
  • for the disk-drive, five years old is like five years for a dog or for automobile tires -- all 3 are "middle aged". Replacing the disk-drive, especially if you upgrade to a SSD (solid state device), is proactive, and definitely will speed-up your computer;
  • there are 3 different standards for wireless communication: "G" (up to 56 Mbits/second), "N" (up to 150 Mbps), and "AC" (up to 1200 Mbps). Your computer probably does not support the "AC" protocol;
  • if you have not upgraded your Shaw Internet plan for 5 years, you should note that new customers get 300 Mbps by default -- probably faster than what you are getting in your current plan.

I suggest that you view another thread on this forum: delayed Ethernet connection to see if your symptoms are the same. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- check that "delayed Ethernet connection" thread, for a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@pryingcat -- check that "delayed Ethernet connection" thread, for an important update, posted on Friday, February 26, 2021.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help